Author Topic: avast! Firewall causing stuttering with uTorrent  (Read 15261 times)

pedro_deleon

Re: avast! Firewall causing stuttering with uTorrent
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »

Love Avast and appreciate the quality of this product.  So I thought I'd throw in my 2c on this topic.

Found this thread, based on issues I was having and thought it would be worthwhile posting details of my experience.

Basically, using XP SP3.  Migrated to a newer machine several months ago and began having issues with Winamp stuttering in ways not experienced before while simultaneously downloading with utorrent.   Didn't matter if Winamp was streaming or using music library files.

So based on comments above, I just went into Avast, and temporarily turned off the PTP firewall/shield protection while utorrent was running.   Stuttering stopped immediately.    When Avast resumed (but with utorrent still running one download) the stuttering did not return, but the PTP shield monitor also isn't showing traffic being scanned as it had before.  Before turning the shield off, with utorrent running, I was seeing traffic on the avast monitor.

I'll try to retest this effect after a reboot later today, to see if the stuttering returns if traffic appears on the avast monitor while utorrent is running.  It may be that avast needs to be running when the utorrent download is initiated.   Rather than avast's shield being turned back on while utorrent is already active.