Author Topic: Still have problems with Avast 5.0.677 (free download version)  (Read 27937 times)

Cael

Re: Still have problems with Avast 5.0.677 (free download version)
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2010, 12:08:49 PM »
Yep. FF 3.6.10, Flashplayer 10.1 and Java 6.21.

Now, I just need to get rid of Java 5.0...

That's the latest stuff. The funny thing is that I have SP3 in my Automatic Update area. I just haven't enabled it yet for the previously stated reasons.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:14:00 PM by Cael »

SafeSurf

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application. Beware it is NOT supported for use in 9x or ME and probably will not install in those systems.

Upgrading Java:
·   Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 21.  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
·   Click the "Download" button to the right.
·   Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement."
·   Click on Continue.
·   Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u21-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
·   Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
·   Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
·   Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
·   Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
·   Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
·   Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
·   Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.(Vista users, right click on the jre-6u21-windows-i586-p.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")

Cael

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2010, 12:45:34 PM »
I have already done that, Safesurf :)

Still getting that server non-connection issue with Avast, though :(

SafeSurf

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »
Did you reboot in between each install?

SafeSurf

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »
Assuming you rebooted in between each install, then it is time to create a mini-dump file for Avast to analyze the problem:

Here is additional information on how to invoke a memory dump file:  http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=71.

Remember to name it uniquely.  They will analyze it and respond to you either in this thread or via email.  If by email, please let us know how things were resolved.  In the meantime, we can continue to work with you here if you like.

Cael

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2010, 01:37:04 PM »
That won't work. I don't have Scroll Lock on my keyboard. Sorry :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »
That won't work. I don't have Scroll Lock on my keyboard. Sorry :(
Manual dump: when the machine is in stalled state, hold down the rightmost CTRL key, and press the SCROLL LOCK key twice. This will cause a machine to 'blue-screen' and dump of memory will start.
In notebooks without the right most CTRL key, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=51847.msg440718#msg440718

To generate full dump instead of only kernel (or small dump), see http://www.msfn.org/board/creating-memory-dumps-t130005.html or http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=52652.msg446063#msg446063
The best things in life are free.

Cael

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2010, 02:01:18 PM »
I am so lost on that one, Tech.

I can follow up to doing the full dump, but I got lost in mapping a different key sequence to force the dump.

My problem is that I don't have a Scroll Lock key, so I can't Right Ctrl + Scroll Lock x2.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »
My problem is that I don't have a Scroll Lock key, so I can't Right Ctrl + Scroll Lock x2.
In that thread I've shown how to map *any* two keys to do the job.
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2010, 02:24:14 PM »
I am so lost on that one, Tech.

I can follow up to doing the full dump, but I got lost in mapping a different key sequence to force the dump.

Scroll lock should be the f12 key.

Cael

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
Umm... You'd better reprint it here, Tech, because I am not seeing it at all. I see Dump1Key, but I am not seeing any instructions for Dump2Key.

The link to the Microsoft site is just incomprehensible wih regards to Dump2Key. Am I supposed to copy the entire table into the Registry?

Craig, F12 key doesn't work. I have tried adding the Registry entry (CrashOnCtrlScroll = 1) and rebooting. It went straight to the logon screen for Windows. I tried the CTRL + all the F-keys (Not just F12). Didn't work.