Author Topic: Avast detected but can not get rid of  (Read 5341 times)

Herzik

Avast detected but can not get rid of
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »
Avast found virus and identifys the files as severity (high)
But went to put in chest or delete and avast can not find files.

Please help

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast detected but can not get rid of
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
What is the malware name, infected file name, where was it found e.g. (malware name, C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?

If you rescan is it detected again ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:37:54 PM »
Avast found virus and identifys the files as severity (high)
But went to put in chest or delete and avast can not find files.

Please help

can you right click the avast tray icon and click on "show last popup message", then take a screenshot of the alert and post it here ;)

also as usually advised here, a second software scan can't hurt, try this:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

download it, update it, run a quick scan and post the report here in an attached file.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 05:39:40 PM by Logos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 06:30:24 PM »
I suspect that this was on an on-demand scan, given the OPs comment "But went to put in chest or delete and avast can not find files." So there may not be a last popup message relating to this detection.

An on-demand scan leaves the actions part until the end of the scan.

An on-access would have automatically taken the first of the pre-selected options (Move to chest, etc.). Unless the user changed this to Ask, there would be no interactive user input required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jomail

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »
Hi tech,

I'm having the same problem. I have two viruses residing on my hard drive right now and I can't seem to delete it or move it to chest. I'm using Avast Pro and it can't remove the viruses.
The names are:

c:\windows\explorer.exe
c:\windows\system32\wininit.exe

it says it was infected by BAMITAL-AC

I really don't have any ideas on how I will be able to fix it. I'm kinda worried it might spread.

Avast detected it when I tried the Memory Test before opening the Application. Avast recommended that I restart the computer
and It will do something like a boot scan but it cannot remove the file as well.

Those two viruses are still present in my system eventhough I have followed all the necessary steps.
Please help me out on this one.
Many thanks to you!

Altarir.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
do not try to delete them - they are system files, but infected by malware.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0 - read and carefully do what first post there says.

Kanaxai

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 11:15:55 PM »

This is my problem at the moment. My computer is suffering from pop-ups, frequent redirects while browsing the internet and a difficulty in logging into my computer (as I have 2 user accounts on my computer). By difficulty, I mean sometimes upon logging into windows, the computer simply stops processing and fails to load at startup. Task manager is "sometimes" still accessible.

After a full system scan with avast, these things come up however no action is possible since they are all read only.

I have also scheduled at scan at boot up. The problems were detected but were unable to be removed.

Please advise me on the next best course of action. A picture of the files that were detected are below.

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:22:32 AM »

Kanaxai,

Please follow the advice given by Altarir above. It would be best to do this in a new post of your own.