Author Topic: Avast won't update  (Read 9501 times)

yod12

Avast won't update
« on: September 26, 2010, 08:51:58 PM »
I've got Avast 5.0.594 on both my machines. It's constantly updating on this one, but will not on the other. Program versions are the same but the virus definitions are not. Automatic update is set on the other one. I tried to manually update it, and it just hangs - "initializing, please wait..."
The registration of Avast on that machine is good till 08/08/2011.

I can't uninstall it either. I just noticed that Avast has a special uninstaller. Why is this?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast won't update
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 09:04:42 PM »
Strange... Any other antivirus installed before avast?
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

yod12

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:29:49 PM »
Thanks,

I don't quite understand that you say uninstall Avast in Control Panel first, and then use the utility.

In any case, I cannot uninstall in Control Panel.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 09:36:23 PM »
In any case, I cannot uninstall in Control Panel.
Then go to step 4.

yod12

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »
This is gettin really wierd. I downloaded the uninstall utility, put it on the desktop - I'm staring at it right now after rebooting into Windows - 200 percent sure it's there. But when I boot into safe mode - it disappears!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
This is gettin really wierd. I downloaded the uninstall utility, put it on the desktop - I'm staring at it right now after rebooting into Windows - 200 percent sure it's there. But when I boot into safe mode - it disappears!
The "Administrator" desktop is not the same as the "user" desktop (probably).

yod12

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
yeah, I realized I have to log in as a user, and boot into safe mode - with networking.
So when I did that, it looks like there are many Avast components, and it appears that I have to reboot this way to uninstall each one - including Avast 4, and Avast 5 and a whole buncha other stuff. Is this the way to do it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:39:08 PM »
You can uninstall whole avast at once (not need to do it shield by shield...).

blackeyedgurl

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 07:03:20 AM »
It doesn't actually matter as I can't get avast! to update and actually completely uninstalled a previous version months ago because of this problem. Today I d/led the newest version and I have the exact same problem.

I can't connect to the server to download the virus definition updates. Its ridiculous. I contacted Customer Support last time and never heard back from them.

I wish I could find a solution to this problem myself!

SafeSurf

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 11:49:22 AM »
@ blackeyedgurl,

1. What is your OS (32 or 64-bit)?
2. What version and product of Avast did you or are you trying to install?  Did you have a previous version or product of Avast on this machine?  If you did, did you run the Uninstaller Tool for this other version as well?
3. What other security software do you have currently or previously on this machine including antirvirus, firewall, and other security software?  If you uninstalled, did you use the vendor's uninstaller's tool or do it some other way?
4. How do you connect to the Internet (Broadband/Cable, DSL, Proxy)?
    - Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates > do you have anything checked off under "Update Parameters?"
     - Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates > which bubble is checked off under "Proxy Settings (1st, 2nd, or 3rd)?

Thank you.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »
The new build has a bug on new installing Avast.

A percentage only but it happen to me just a couple hours ago on a new format XP 32bit.

I just reinstall
Reboot
Use uninstall utility
Reboot
Install Avast again
Reboot
Let it update

Tips.

Always make sure the system date time is correct.

I noticed also the website loads long time even logging my account.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:39:29 PM by chubalz »
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

blackeyedgurl

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »
I hope this helps:

@ blackeyedgurl,

1. What is your OS (32 or 64-bit)? XP SP2 (I can't upgrade to SP3) 32 bit
2. What version and product of Avast did you or are you trying to install? The very newest edition available on their website as of 9pm 9/27/10 Did you have a previous version or product of Avast on this machine? Yes, about 6 months ago If you did, did you run the Uninstaller Tool for this other version as well? Yes, I ran Avast!'s uninstaller
3. What other security software do you have currently or previously on this machine including antirvirus, firewall, and other security software? The only other security software is: Microsoft's built in Firewall (currently disabled), Malwarebytes, Spybot, Hijack This, and Avast! If you uninstalled, did you use the vendor's uninstaller's tool or do it some other way? Nothing to uninstall, never had standard antivirus on the machine
4. How do you connect to the Internet (Broadband/Cable, DSL, Proxy)? Broadband Cable
    - Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates > do you have anything checked off under "Update Parameters?" I'm not sitting in from of the machine, but it was on auto updates, I changed it to manual in the hopes that it would work, and it did not. Leaving it on auto makes it keep retrying and hogging memory on my machine.
     - Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates > which bubble is checked off under "Proxy Settings (1st, 2nd, or 3rd)? detect proxy settings using IE

Thank you.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 01:21:01 AM »
@ blackeyedgurl,

It sounds like your settings are fine.

Some users have reported problems with Spybot, and many have reported problems with Teatimer (TT).  Do you use TT? 

Uninstall Spybot S&D w/Teatimer: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html .  In addition, you need to go into Advanced settings to disable the resident protection (2 areas to possibly disable – Teatimer and some IE blocking), then de-immunize if the immunity has been set.  That takes a minute or more sometimes.  The run the program’s own uninstaller, which should be in the Add/Remove Programs.  Reboot.

See if this helps and let us know.

blackeyedgurl

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:43:13 AM »
I don't use TeaTimer. I am getting ready to reboot, will keep you updated.

yod12

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 03:15:22 AM »
Hi blackeyedgurl,

Would you please start a new topic if you're going to discuss anything more.