Author Topic: Problems changing my forum profile  (Read 3627 times)

BLKFEATHER

Problems changing my forum profile
« on: September 30, 2010, 04:06:05 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to change my forum profile info? I went to "profile" and "account related settings" and entered my current password (which it says I must do to change my profile info)but nothing happens.When I click the "change profile" button, the password I just entered simply disappears. I'm just trying to add a signature to my profile. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problems changing my forum profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
You need 20 posts to be able to use the PM function:
The problem comes from drive by spammers, who having registered put objectionable or commercial links in their profile signature to try and gain link promotion, etc.

There have also been cases of the PM function being abused to spam forum members, so you will notice that you can't use the PM function either.

Unfortunately because of the actions of others legitimate members suffer by the actions to prevent this spamming.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
You need 20 posts to change it...
It's an antispam measure.

Edit: sorry, don't intend to post useless as David posted before.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:22:59 PM by Tech »
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:26:26 PM »
Now that's something you don't see every day, the identical time of posting for two posts ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 04:30:46 PM »
But I hate when I post useless, i.e., post the same some seconds after somebody already posted.
When this occur, I just don't post :)
The best things in life are free.

BLKFEATHER

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. Just wanted to add a signature with my computer OS info since I'm always asked that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 05:33:18 PM »
You're welcome. Now you have managed it, generally we put the actual version number where applicable (e.g. 5.0.677) to ensure you have the latest build of avast, etc. It does mean however, you have to keep your signature up to date though ;D

I would suggest that you update IE7 to IE8 as it has further security enhancements, even if you don't use, IE is an integral part of the OS so it needs to be kept up to date.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 12:48:01 AM »
I would suggest that you update IE7 to IE8 as it has further security enhancements, even if you don't use, IE is an integral part of the OS so it needs to be kept up to date.
+1
Please read
Windows Explorer is a file manager application that is included with releases of the Microsoft Windows operating system from Windows 95 onwards. It provides a graphical user interface for accessing the file systems. It is also the component of the operating system that presents many user interface items on the monitor such as the taskbar and desktop. Controlling the computer is possible without Windows Explorer running (for example, the File | Run command in Task Manager on NT-derived versions of Windows will function without it, as will commands typed in a command prompt window). It is sometimes referred to as the Windows Shell, explorer.exe, or simply “Explorer”.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Explorer