Author Topic: Is Xmarks going off?  (Read 4902 times)

Hermite15

Re: Is Xmarks going off?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »
Firefox Weave
Google Chrome Sync
Windows Live Essentials 2011 (to sync IE)

;D

..this said there are no alternative (that I know of...) to sync between two different browsers. But I never trusted Xmarks, no ssl (encryption) etc...

edit: and I'm seeing now that the alternatives are being suggested too here :D
http://www.xmarks.com/about/shutdown

adding: like some others here, I'm a lastpass user, and I do expect LP to offer soon or later bookmarks synchronization...I did suggest it on lp forums...no feedback about it so far...laspass works with any browser (with restrictions on Opera where it cannot implement a plugin, leaving users with bookmarklets). The integration of bookmarks would be terrific.

edit: just posted about it in an existing thread there
http://forums.lastpass.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24709&p=166059#p166059
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 01:33:52 PM by Logos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:30:20 PM »
A pity... it worked very well... cross-link browser and platform...
Time to move on to Firefox Sync 1.4.4.
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:58:20 PM »
Trust me, you don't want to move to Firefox Sync, because it's garbage. When the project was still called Weave, and it was hardly in beta version, it was working perfectly. But ater they released Firefox Sync under version 1.0, it's loaded with problems, bookmarks duplicating and missing like crazy, constant sync errors, just awful.
Xmarks, in all these years, hardly any problems. Plus it was not browser specific, but a cross platform. So you could sync Chrome, Firefox, IE and Safari all togehter.

Though it makes me wonder how they failed to provide a good business models. If funds are a problem you just have to reshape the program.
For example, offer bookmarks, passwords and history syncing for free and bookmarks aggregation, rating and cross browser syncing as additional payable service for a small yearly fee. Out of 2 million users, i think they'd get enough funds to run the service while not cripple it all that much. If it was 5€ a year per account and i think many would be willing to pay for it. If only 20.000 users bought this service they would gather 100.000 € per year. Not bad eh?
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »
Yes, I just came to post this news but someone already posted it.....

I was going to use this addon for the first time today, but since it is closing down soon, I guess i will not use it....

Xmarks is lightweight compared with Firefox Sync in my nightly and it also synchronized passwords...

They didn't have a profitable business model i guess

se224141

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 12:21:11 PM »
On http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/30163/xmarks-is-dead-so-what-other-options-do-you-have/ I learnt that Delicious can be used to synchronize bookmarks across all browsers.

I created an account with Delicious but I am not sure how I can make my bookmarks private and confidential. I guess it will be searchable and anyone can see it.

Any suggestions/ideas how I can make my bookmarks strictly private and unsearchable.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 02:28:35 PM »
I think the sharing is "essential" on delicious... If anybody knows how to get it, please, post.
I hope LastPass is thinking in sharing favorites cross browser and cross platform...
The best things in life are free.