Author Topic: "OpenOffice.org Leaves Oracle, Becomes LibreOffice"  (Read 11258 times)

DaveyB

Re: "OpenOffice.org Leaves Oracle, Becomes LibreOffice"
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
Downloaded and updated, thanks for the heads up! =D

Next worry on the horizon is java!!

DaveyB

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »
Now a slightly different heads up for users of LibreOffice - I just installed it, went great except that it popped up the welcome page for openoffice on openoffice.org.

On trying to run it, it comes back with an error:  "The dynamic link library MSVCR90.dll could not be found ...".  This will also prevent Avast from opening! you've been warned! :)

Heading over to their website now to report it!

Edit: It also removed MSVCP90.dll - both files can be found in the LibreOffice installed folders, just copy them to your system32 folder and all is well!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:39:12 PM by DaveyB »

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »
a must read:
http://www.documentfoundation.org/faq/

also be warned that the version of LibreOffice offered on the new site is OpenOffice 3.3 beta..Okay, I tried it already weeks before this story with Oracle and the split, and it was obviously a non-finish version so I reverted back to 3.21. Now it shouldn't be long until LibreOffice delivers the final version of 3.3.
 As to Java...can't tell what's going to happen. Not binding java with the office suite isn't a problem at all and you can install Java separately (stating obvious things here). No the problem is whether or not LibreOffice will require Java, and how it would run without Java. This said it's always been possible to run OOO without Java, just a few minor restrictions in the interface. There's a web page giving the details, i don't have the link anymore, it just shows what works and what doesn't in OOO when Java isn't installed. Now I hope that "LibreOffice" won't need java at all to be honest. java has vulnerabilities, is slow etc...

My guess is that the team there will dismiss Java and use something else,as I can't see an Open Source foundation pay a fee to Oracle...time will tell...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:31:50 PM by Logos »

DaveyB

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »
I posted this in the avast! support forums | avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum, so I'll just link to it here :
Avast suddenly stops working - new possible cause!

Basically, as I mentioned above, OpenOffice does some naughty things on uninstalling it, and it will cripple Avast! (and any other software that relies on these dlls) in a W2K system and some versions of Win XP too.

Bug reports have been opened on the respective sites :)

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »
I posted this in the avast! support forums | avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum, so I'll just link to it here :
Avast suddenly stops working - new possible cause!

Basically, as I mentioned above, OpenOffice does some naughty things on uninstalling it, and it will cripple Avast! (and any other software that relies on these dlls) in a W2K system and some versions of Win XP too.

Bug reports have been opened on the respective sites :)

re-install C++ 2008 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

DaveyB

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:12:54 PM »
Thanks Logos, however that information was included in my other post. I didn't provide a link so that people would get the latest version by a quick search for it rather than getting a possibly out-dated version a few months down the road :)

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 03:39:59 AM »
Does it have any improvements over OpenOffice, like ribbons instead of menus, and the ability to save in docx?

Dch48

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 03:59:08 AM »
I love it. The darling of the open source crowd has now become malware. OpenOffice has never been any good and never did what it claimed it could in opening any file made by MS Office.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 04:24:33 AM »
How is it malware, did I miss something?

Gargamel360

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 04:27:55 AM »
He just really likes MS  ;)

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 04:28:03 AM »
How is it malware, did I miss something?
Just commenting on how it removes essential .dll files when it's uninstalled, crippling other applications such as Avast!.

And--no---the point is not that I like MS, but that I have tried OpenOffice and it never delivered on it's promises of compatibility. If it would have, I might be using it today.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:32:39 AM by Dch48 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 04:32:50 AM »
Just commenting on how it removes essential .dll files when it's uninstalled, crippling other applications such as Avast!.
Of other applications, I agree. If the uninstall do this, bad.
In avast case, well, the self defense module SHOULD block this!
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 04:35:48 AM »
Of other applications, I agree. If the uninstall do this, bad.
In avast case, well, the self defense module SHOULD block this!
No, Tech, read what is removed. The .dlls in question are not Avast! specific files but rather parts of the C++ package that Avast! depends on in order to run. I know the gui part of Avast! will not open without those files but I'm not sure if the protection itself is affected.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 05:13:34 AM »
Huh, I didn't know that, probably because I've never tried to remove it. Don't programs usually warn if they are removing shared components, and ask you if you want to keep them? I remember many programs doing this on my Dad's old computer when I tried to uninstall them.