Author Topic: "OpenOffice.org Leaves Oracle, Becomes LibreOffice"  (Read 11200 times)

Dch48

Re: "OpenOffice.org Leaves Oracle, Becomes LibreOffice"
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 05:25:42 AM »
Huh, I didn't know that, probably because I've never tried to remove it. Don't programs usually warn if they are removing shared components, and ask you if you want to keep them? I remember many programs doing this on my Dad's old computer when I tried to uninstall them.
It's only happening with the latest version when you upgrade from a previous one. It's obviously a bug that will be fixed but I still find it somewhat humorous.

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »
Just commenting on how it removes essential .dll files when it's uninstalled, crippling other applications such as Avast!.
Of other applications, I agree. If the uninstall do this, bad.
In avast case, well, the self defense module SHOULD block this!
No, Tech, read what is removed. The .dlls in question are not Avast! specific files but rather parts of the C++ package that Avast! depends on in order to run. I know the gui part of Avast! will not open without those files but I'm not sure if the protection itself is affected.

exactly, the self-defense module defends Avast software, nothing else, so certainly not Visual Studio, even if Avast needs it and they included it in the package ;D Now yeah, that's pretty bad that OOO 3.3 beta got such a bug. It never un-installed Java, wonder why it removes C++, even if like Avast it needs it and has it, like Avast, in the package.

@DCH48 >>> most OpenOffice users are quite aware that this suite quality is far below the standards of quality of Microsoft Office. But in most cases, OpenOffice will just suits the needs, and it's free, when MS Office remains extremely expensive and not worth the investment for people who just need to type letters. There's nothing to demonstrate, that's how OOO became popular, not because it's good, but because it's good enough for a majority.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »
No, Tech, read what is removed. The .dlls in question are not Avast! specific files but rather parts of the C++ package that Avast! depends on in order to run. I know the gui part of Avast! will not open without those files but I'm not sure if the protection itself is affected.
My bad. Sorry. You're right.
The best things in life are free.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »

@DCH48 >>> most OpenOffice users are quite aware that this suite quality is far below the standards of quality of Microsoft Office. But in most cases, OpenOffice will just suits the needs, and it's free, when MS Office remains extremely expensive and not worth the investment for people who just need to type letters. There's nothing to demonstrate, that's how OOO became popular, not because it's good, but because it's good enough for a majority.

+1
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:42:17 PM by brandonn2010 »

Dch48

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »

I understand that and if I only needed a suite to do those things it would be more than sufficient. It's certainly better than MS Works. However, I have some files that I need to use on a fairly regular basis that are not compatible with OO. One in particular is a very involved spreadsheet with myriads of complex equations that I would have no clue how to write myself. OO is probably very good for people who are going to create and use files themselves but for complex files you may have to import that were created in MS Office, it just doesn't always work.

My point is that OO is always held up as a shining example by many of the MS bashing crowd and now it has developed a major flaw that makes it act like malware. I just found it funny.