Author Topic: Avast Internet security 5.0.677 changes Outlook 2007 spam settings  (Read 8710 times)

live_73

Avast Internet security 5.0.677 changes Outlook 2007 spam settings
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:42:16 PM »
Hello!

I have used Outlook 2007 for my mail program. My spam level was set to HIGH there in settings. Today i installed AIS 5.0.677 and it works OK, but when i open Outlook it has disabled this HIGH spam setting and move it "no automatic filter". So it doesn´t work anymore. There is now any SPAM folder either in my Outlook.

I can change it back manually to HIGH in Outlook, but when i close it and reopen program it it has changed back to "no automatic filter"

So i can`t get that spam system to work at all!

Any ideas? ???

k.u.r.t

Re: Avast Internet security 5.0.677 changes Outlook 2007 spam settings
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »
Hey,
in order for AIS to be able to effectively provide our own spam filtering it needs to disable Outlook's own filter first. If we did not do it then unpredictable things could happen. Consider situation when avast passes a message through but Outlook decides falsely that such message is spam . . . or you mark message as "not spam" via avast toolbar button, but it gets moved to spam anyway by Outlook etc.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 08:33:45 AM »
If you want to keep using the Outlook Spam Filter, Go to 'avast! Internet Security' in Add/Remove Programs, Choose the 'Change/Remove' button, then 'Change' to uninstall just the avast! Spam Blocker.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

live_73

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 09:10:51 AM »
Okey!

I don`t want to remove Avast spam filter, but it doesn´t work like i want. In previous version Avast version my Outlook spam filter was set to high and it worked like it should. Some spam mails come through but i manually marked those to spam.

Now i can´t get either to work. Outlook setting is allways "no automatic filter" but when i open outlook Avast Spam filter doesn´t work either. I can see that Avast plugin in program, but it doesn´t automatically remove anything. Every single mail come to my inbox and i hvae to click all mails manually.

I´m using Windows XP home.

So any help?  ??? 

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »
Sorry I can't help further.
I routinely use Thunderbird and don't have any PCs with Outlook/avast! combination.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

sedina

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 04:31:46 PM »
Hi, could you please provide us screenshots of your antispam & mail provider traffic from avast! GUI?  Also, if you disable avast! Outlook plugin (ashOutXt.dll) in Outlook, are your messages checked for spam? They should be, because avast! Mail service should take care of it. thanks for info.

live_73

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:03:01 PM »
Hello!

I missed your answer, but here are some screenshots:

I tried to disable Avast Outlook plugin but it still change Outlook setting to "no automatic" mode. All pictures are finnish then, sorry! Only way my outlook setting worked was when i uninstalled Avast. But when i installed again, it changed those setting.

So if you could help any way...?

live_73

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
Hello! ;)

Any help for this problem, or should i remove that Avast spam system or whole AIS system? I don´t want to click manually every spam mail!  ???

k.u.r.t

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 07:09:40 PM »
Have you got IMAP or exchange account by any chance? These are not supported so far. It is among the feature requests though and will be added in the near future.

live_73

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »
Hi!

No i dont have IMAP or exchange. Normal POP3 account.  ???

k.u.r.t

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »
I tried to disable Avast Outlook plugin but it still change Outlook setting to "no automatic" mode. All pictures are finnish then, sorry! Only way my outlook setting worked was when i uninstalled Avast. But when i installed again, it changed those setting.
We are using are two plugins for Outlook, try disabling the one called "avast! 5" (as opposed to "avast! Antispam"). If you disable it then the function of the antispam plugin should be performed by the mail shield instead. Let's see if that makes a difference at all.

live_73

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 04:52:59 PM »
We are using are two plugins for Outlook, try disabling the one called "avast! 5" (as opposed to "avast! Antispam"). If you disable it then the function of the antispam plugin should be performed by the mail shield instead. Let's see if that makes a difference at all.

Sorry, but where i can find that "Avast 5" what i have to disable. I dont`t understand now?  ???

I have tried to disable Avast Antispam in Outlook without result and realtime mail shield in Avast without result.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 08:22:10 AM »
I will try to explain again, better:

Avast has got 2 add-ins that run inside Outlook.
1st is called "Avast 5" inside Outlook, on disk it is ashOutXt.dll - under Outlook 2007 it can be found in Tools > Trust centre > Add-ins. Select "Exchange Client Extensions", click "Go".
2nd is called "Avast! Antuspam" inside Outlook, on disk it is asOutExt.dll - under Outlook 2007 it can be found in Tools > Trust centre > Add-ins. Select "COM Add-ins", click "Go".

HTH

live_73

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »
hip hey!  ;D

It works! Thank you for your help. I disabled that "avast 5" and now it moves all spam mails to right folder without i have to do anything.

I don´t know why it works but it WORKS!  ;)