Author Topic: My Host file has been Modified, what is causing this? All Scans are clean-Help!  (Read 15099 times)

Lady GaGa

???
Hey All,
I am pretty new to Forums, so bear with me! I am uploading a "cropper capture" from one of the 3 times this month my host file has been modified. The most recent was 9/24/10 but I was using a free program that found this problem, as it also did earlier this month, I use the Emergency Protection Mode of this program to quick scan so I did not get the cropper capture on the 24th of this month, but it said the same thing as the attachment I am . Previous scans by this program found 4 Trojans and the host file had been modified, this time only the host file had been modified and no viruses,Trojans, worms or malicious software were found by Avast and/or other programs I have on my PC, spyware, malware programs etc..during quick, full and special scans. I am under the impression there is malicious software somewhere hiding that is modifying the Host File - Help by a professional would be great. I am not a Novice on the PC, but also not a total geeeek either! I am having a lot of hungapp error messages, so something is wrong here, it is just not being detected by any program I have on my PC or download that will pick up what these programs will not. If you need the name of the program that is finding my Host File Modified, please advise. It is I am sure one you have heard of if you are computer savvy!
Lady GaGa
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 04:27:31 PM by Lady GaGa »

Gargamel360

Are you.......
                   .......caught in a bad romance? ;)

Read and follow the guide at start of this thread>>
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Lady GaGa

Gargamel360 ::) ???
Hey I have went to the link below and did the OTL Scan, not sure if I did it right or not, as the instructions are a little sketchy (that is just my opinion-as they way they are explained I do not get a Scan.txt file to download and save to the desktop as directed)anyway I will attach the OTL.txt and Extras.txt files, and if I did something wrong could you guide me in the right direction? Or should I just post on the www.geekstogo.com/forum site, I have had Malwarebytes on my PC for years, and it hasn't found anything in a while, attaching it with this reply, I did a scan on 9/30 and it showed nothing. I will do another one today and post it if you like. Let me know after you read this Post please.I am very leary of messing with registry files, as I do know pretty much about computers, but that is one area I don't mess with unless there is a program like OTL that will fix these etc. Now I have like 9 things that popped up on my desktop after I clicked to attach the files...??? Why, what or can I do with these they are album art from songs I have downloaded, a desktop.ini file and 1 says folder, what are these and why after attaching the OTL & Extra's logs did they appear on my desktop? I see you are not online now, since I am replying to you, will it show so someone else may be able to help me now?
Thanks,
Lady GaGa

Lady GaGa

:)
Okay I figured out if I refreshed my desktop all those 9 files disappeared. Now I know what to do next time...LOL. As I stated in the beginning I do somewhat know things about computer's, I am not a Novice, but neither a total computer geek. I am going to go to the geekstogo.com/forum and register to post now, since I am not able to attach the OTL.TXT file as it is too big. If you can help me, please reply to my post or email me as I do not have my email hidden in my profile,I have copied and pasted your name if the is your screen name for your email also, I will know if it goes into my spam folder that it is you. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I know there is something hiding that is modifying my HOST file, as nothing is picking it up except Dr. Cureit (Free), have you heard of that program b4? It did find in the first week of Sept. 4 trojans and that the host file had been modified.But since then I have ran it twice more and it only finds that the HOST file has been modified, and says that that is a sign of malicuous software on my PC, but Avast, Malwarebytes, Spybot or any of my programs are finding anything. I do still have Hijack This on my computer, should I uninstall it like NOW????? Pleae advise! And thank you for your help.
Lady GaGa

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Lady GaGa, you need to go into your profile and hide your email so you dont get spammed.

Lady GaGa

Thank You on hidding my email....will do it now!!!!
Lady GaGa

Lady GaGa

CraigB
I have tried 4 times in my profile to hide my email address and it keeps telling me to log out and back in, have done that 4 times and made up a security ? and Answer and put in my password I registered with, and it is still not working. Help????
Thanks
Lady GaGa

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Hi lady gaga could I have the main OTL text please

YoKenny

CraigB
I have tried 4 times in my profile to hide my email address and it keeps telling me to log out and back in, have done that 4 times and made up a security ? and Answer and put in my password I registered with, and it is still not working. Help????
Thanks
Lady GaGa
Your email addres is only visiable to the Forum admins now. :)

Follow essexboy's advice. 

Lady GaGa

Hey essexboy
It says this when I tried to even copy & past the OTL.TXT into this reply:

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (10000 characters).
Lady GaGa ???
What Now???????????????????????????????

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Could you attach the file please

Bottom left of the posting page is additional options
click this
Using the browse button locate the OTL.txt file and then post  ;D

Lady GaGa

Craigb
Thank You, I tried to copy and past and got an error message the OTL.TXT was over 1000 characters what now?????

Your email addres is only visiable to the Forum admins now.

Lady GaGa

Essexboy
I have already tried attaching but the limit is 192KB, and the OTL.TXT is 264 KB, so it would not let me attached it. Been there and tried it already. What now?

Thank U
Lady GaGa :(

Jahn

Essexboy
I have already tried attaching but the limit is 192KB, and the OTL.TXT is 264 KB, so it would not let me attached it. Been there and tried it already. What now?

Thank U
Lady GaGa :(

Open OTL.txt in Notepad.

Highlight and copy the first half of the text.

Save as OTL1.txt.

Highlight and copy the second half.

Save as OTL2.txt.

Attach the files in reply(ies) to this topic.

Lady GaGa

Jahn
Thank U, I thought of that, but was not sure if anyone would want me to do it that way. Give me a few minutes and I will have them to you!
Lady GaGa  :) I am a Newbie so bear with me...LOL

Do you want me to just post them in General or in a reply to U???????