Author Topic: Hidden Paint.NET  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Hidden Paint.NET
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »
CCleaner indicates in the Applications category that I have Paint.NET.
I did briefly use it about a year ago, but I uninstalled it.
I have checked in the typical Folders and can't find any signs of Paint.NET.

How can I get say ... Revo Uninstaller to find it and rip it out?
Or CAN it?
There is no Paint.NET Icon in the Uninstall sections of Windows, CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller.
So how do I get rid of these mysterious Paint.NET remnants?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Aethec

Re: Hidden Paint.NET
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:37:54 PM »
Save as a .reg file and open :

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paint.NET]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Paint.NET]

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »
I tried the idea of reinstalling Paint.NET and then giving Revo Uninstaller a crack at ripping it all out with its advanced option.  Nnnnggg, Nope!  Paint.NET is apparently somehow still existent.

Ehhh, in the process of having reinstalled it, I played around with it for a while.  This time around I got further than the previous 2 times I had tried out Paint.NET.  On those 2 previous occasions, I got nowhere.  I must have been missing some key step back then.

Now I found out that I CAN get Effects Plugins to give it some more Horsepower ... some more Warp Factor Thrust.  ;D I'll look into those Plugins.  Who knows?  I might yet get some use out of Paint.NET.

Thanks for the suggestions, Pondus ... Aethec!  :)
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
Hi Chim, the easyest way to clean up these registry leftovers that are showing for you in ccleaner is by going into regedit and looking through the software section's and deleting them one by one, iv had to do this with quite a few program's that dont want to take all there bit's with them when you decide to get rid of em, nero is one that come's to mind straight off. It only take's a couple of minute's and just the software section's only.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:47:05 PM »
Craig, I have yet to ever mess around with Regedit.
Messing with the Registry with CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller is about as far as I go with that risky area.  :o

Aethec

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 11:42:29 AM »
Craig, I have yet to ever mess around with Regedit.
Messing with the Registry with CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller is about as far as I go with that risky area.  :o

The fix I suggested deleted both Paint.NET keys in HKCU and HKLM, which are used by CCleaner to know if Paint.NET is installed or not - if it doesn't work, it's a bug in CCleaner  ;)