Author Topic: Help(concerning the results of a virus scan)  (Read 6631 times)

RV01

Help(concerning the results of a virus scan)
« on: August 06, 2004, 09:35:19 PM »
Recently I have scanned my computer for viruses and the result was the following :
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\_avast4_\…\unp98899068
UNABLE TO SCAN ARCHIVE IS CORRUPTED
Is this a serious problem? Should I be worried about it?
I can't understand this result and I don't know how to act.
Thanks  in advance.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Help(concerning the results of a virus scan)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 11:00:11 PM »
Hi,

What you're looking at is the contents of an "archive" file (zip, rar, etc) which avast had to temporarily unpack in order to scan its contents.  Normally the contents of that temp folder are deleted once they've been scanned -- but if anything's still there, feel free to delete it yourself.

It would be a lot easier to make further suggestions if we knew what the "original" file (i.e., the zip or whatever) was, but I don't think that info's readily available.  Could one of the experts please correct or clarify my understanding of this if I'm wrong?

Best,
Mike

As a P.S. (I don't always organize my thoughts that well  ;) ) -- do you have reporting enabled?  If so and you look at the report, I just remembered that it should show "unable to scan" with specific reference to the "parent" archive file(s), including full path to them.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 11:05:25 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 05:42:39 AM »
Like Mike said, no troubles deleting C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\_avast4_\…\unp files...  8)
The best things in life are free.

RV01

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 08:28:52 PM »
Unfortunatety, I scanned again my computer for viruses and the specific file is there although I thought I had deleted it.Is there any other way in which I can delete it? Thanks in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 09:10:05 PM »
Please state, the filename, virus name, it's location C:\folder\folder\filename, etc. (if different location to your info above) and your OS there is insufficient information to help fully.

However a visit to this thread will probably help, General Advice&Tools for virus/trojan/malware removal

If you need more help, come back here with more info....
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 09:11:34 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RV01

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 09:47:30 PM »
There is no virus name just the information of being unable to be scanned due to the fact that it is corrupted, the file name is the above , C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\_avast4_\…\unp98899068,and  my OS is Millenium Edition if OS is my operating system.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 12:22:31 AM »
The files in the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\_avast4_\ folder are temporary and can safely be deleted, this location is used to unpack zip files, etc. (signified by the unp at the start of the filename) to check their contents.

These temporary files are usually deleted upon completion of the check. It would appear that when the check fails for some reason, 'unable to be scanned due to the fact that it is corrupted' in your case, the temporary files aren't being deleted.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 03:11:13 AM »
I really suggest a stronger pro active behavior of deleting temporary files under avast temporary folder... there are many users complaining that even after a reboot, files were left behind there (me too  :'().

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2004, 12:31:07 PM »
I really suggest a stronger pro active behavior of deleting temporary files under avast temporary folder... there are many users complaining that even after a reboot, files were left behind there (me too  :'().

I would second that, there really is no need for them to remain even after a failed scan as the unpacked files only exist because avast unpacked a ziped/cab/compressed file to check for virus infection.

whocares

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 12:40:07 PM »

FULL ACK.. !!

During my usual defragging-check I noticed that there where 4 Gigs left there..
Of course, should have known, as avast crashed during a full archive scan some days previously..

;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
Of course, should have known, as avast crashed during a full archive scan some days previously...

This is the main reason (crashes) but could be others: avast screen saver module, for instance.  :-\

whocares

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2004, 03:04:20 PM »
avast screen saver module, for instance.  :-\

Don't use this. so nope here..

Does it frequently cause the avast/unpacked stuff to accumulate ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 03:14:15 PM »
Does it frequently cause the avast/unpacked stuff to accumulate ?

Well, how can I be sure?
I'm not running an on-demand scanning so, would be it or the Stardard Shield...
Tons of files are left behind if the screen saver module crashes, or Windows, or at shutdown...
Only I ask is a stronger policy of deletion to temporary files... I have to do this with a third party application...  :'(

RV01

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 09:02:28 PM »
Thanks a lot. I have already deleted manually the specific file since after a third virus scan is continued to exist when I rebooted my computer.I suppose now that I won't face the same problem again when  I will scan my computer for viruses.