Author Topic: Bug? Avast jumps to other screen on dual monitor setup  (Read 2475 times)

T-RHex

Bug? Avast jumps to other screen on dual monitor setup
« on: September 29, 2010, 03:08:19 PM »
Hello,

I am wondering if this is a bug (known or not).  I did search the forum but did not come up with anything so please excuse me if I missed it.

I have a dual-monitor setup and if I have Avast open on my secondary screen, when I click on "Summary" or "Current Status", the window jumps to the other monitor.  Clicking on any other option does not do this.

System details:
  • WinXP Pro SP3
  • Avast Pro (trial) 5.0.677
  • Online Armor 4.0.0.45
  • DirectX 9.0
  • GeForce 8600GT
  • NVIDIA driver version 258.96 (6.14.12.5896)

Thanks.

spg SCOTT

Re: Bug? Avast jumps to other screen on dual monitor setup
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »
This did happen to me a while back, but that seems to have been sorted (for one monitor at least maybe)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53696.0

You can try what DavidR posted in that thread:
Quote from: DavidR
I have resized the GUI and also moved it to the bottom right and tried the old windows trick of pressing Ctrl+X (the window close X) together and a) that kept the resize in move in place and now the Summary stays in place, just opening the summary details.

Don't you just love computers.

T-RHex

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 03:41:23 PM »
Good memory (or good search skills)!
Does he mean Ctrl + clicking on the X in the upper right?  Never heard of that one.

I tried:
- resizing and closing
- moving and closing
- moving, resizing, and closing
- maximizing and closing
- maximizing, restoring, and closing
- holding down Ctrl and clicking on the X
- (for what it's worth I also tried Ctrl+X and Alt+X but neither did anything)
- closing the window with Alt+F4

all with the same result.  In fact, if I leave Avast on the summary page, the next time I open it from the systray it first opens and then jumps to the same x,y on the primary monitor.

Something that does bug me (I've done quite a bit of GUI development and adhere to old MS GUI standards -- even though they no longer do): at times I use Alt+Space to bring up a window's system menu.  But with the Avast custom title bar, this doesn't work.

Another thing I noticed: if I maximize Avast by double-clicking in the title bar, it draws bits of the regular title bar (the minimize/restore/close icons) but cleans it up when I mouse over the area.  Same thing happens if I restore the window to the previous size by double-clicking again on the title bar.  This does not seem to happen if I use the maximize/restore icons.

Which reminds me, as it might make a difference: I use the Windows Classic theme.  Yes, I'm a UI dinosaur.

Thanks for your assistance!

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 04:36:19 PM »
Ok, I tested this a little with a win7 64 system and had similar results...

Open avast --> move to second monitor -->switch to different tab  (e.g. maintenance) --> switch back to summary --> avast window move to far right of first monitor...

Wow that is annoying... :)

Something that does bug me (I've done quite a bit of GUI development and adhere to old MS GUI standards -- even though they no longer do): at times I use Alt+Space to bring up a window's system menu.  But with the Avast custom title bar, this doesn't work.
Indeed, this is true. The only way to get the menu you want is the right click on avast in the tray...

Another thing I noticed: if I maximize Avast by double-clicking in the title bar, it draws bits of the regular title bar (the minimize/restore/close icons) but cleans it up when I mouse over the area.  Same thing happens if I restore the window to the previous size by double-clicking again on the title bar.  This does not seem to happen if I use the maximize/restore icons.
Can't seem to replicate this with vista/classic theme...

Offline yonatan

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
I see, it is a bug. thanks for reporting

T-RHex

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 05:56:21 AM »
Thanks both for responding.  I know it's definitely not a major bug (just an annoying one).  I'm evaluating Avast to replace AVs on about 5 PCs, so the quick responses are appreciated.
0xtr