Author Topic: Licensing confusion -- Have we expired?  (Read 4946 times)

andrewk

Licensing confusion -- Have we expired?
« on: October 01, 2010, 03:31:38 PM »
We purchased a 2 year subscription for Standard Suite in June 2008, and somehow also acquired 3 server licenses. This was before my time, so I'm hazy on the details. At any rate, I'm thinking avast should have expired by now, right? However, VPS and program updates are still happening (though some systems on our network are still stuck on 4.7). The only clue I can find that we've expired is under Events, in ADNM; several times a day, a Server event says "Subscription for product AV_NETC is expired. Program will not download any updates any more."

Does this mean our subscription has expired? If so, why are we still able to download and install VPS and engine updates?

Note: Sorry this is a double post; I originally posted this over in Free/Pro/Suite, but can't move the thread over here.

Jan Nabelek

Re: Licensing confusion -- Have we expired?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »
However, VPS and program updates are still happening...
Does this mean our subscription has expired?
Right... Avast expired in June 2010...

Quote from: andrewk
If so, why are we still able to download and install VPS and engine updates?
Why not? It is not bug, it is feature... :-)
Avast give extra protection time when customer forgot renew their licenses... It is serious behavior, isn't it?
But you license expired and now you i.e. your company is not legal user... You should contact your reseller and demand offer for update. I recommend you ADNM rather then SBS suite. ADNM is free for legal user, you needn't pay extra money for it, but your clients are manageable.

andrewk

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:40:47 PM »
Why not? It is not bug, it is feature... :-)
Avast give extra protection time when customer forgot renew their licenses... It is serious behavior, isn't it?
But you license expired and now you i.e. your company is not legal user... You should contact your reseller and demand offer for update. I recommend you ADNM rather then SBS suite. ADNM is free for legal user, you needn't pay extra money for it, but your clients are manageable.

Thanks for this explanation. This grace period is a very nice feature! Now, I do not understand the difference between SBS and ADNM. Our invoice shows we have 12 seats of Standard Suite, and I thought ADNM is just a free tool to manage it with. So we just need to renew our Standard Suite licenses, add new seats to cover our new users, and get new server licenses since I can't find an invoice for the original ones?

Jan Nabelek

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »
So we just need to renew our Standard Suite licenses, add new seats to cover our new users, and get new server licenses since I can't find an invoice for the original ones?
Ask for managed licence for Standard or Advances Suite (if you want protect Exchange server) or ask reseller for special quota (when you have ISA server or want special discount... :-)