Author Topic: Problems with internet explorer connecting to webpages  (Read 2271 times)

zhambah

Problems with internet explorer connecting to webpages
« on: October 01, 2010, 08:49:58 PM »
My old avast! ran out today, so i upgraded to avast! 5.

Everything was fine until i restarted the machine to enable avast to work after the installation. The product key was sent to my e-mail. which I could not access, when loading the hotmail* webpage all i saw was a completely blank webpage.

when i went to facebook the only feature was the top bar accross the top, the rest of the page was blank.

links that would normally be clickable on websites no longer took me anywhere. I believe its an issue with cookies, I'm aware that avast! shouldnt effect cookies but as thats the only thing ive changed thats the logical conclusion.

I'm using Windows Vista, only 1 antivirus program (avast! 5)

I have since uninstalled avast! to see if it would solve access to the internet but apparently my cookies are disabled, even though i have "allow all cookies" in the privacy settings tab of internet options

*note I have already tried using localhost proxy to solve this problem to no avail.

and now I'm stuck. I need to some help.

regards, zhambah

MAG

Re: Problems with internet explorer connecting to webpages
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
I know this does nothing to help solve your problem (which is beyond me), but by way of workaround/investigation, have you tried any other browsers (firefox, chrome)to see if they are working?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Problems with internet explorer connecting to webpages
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:42:55 PM »
I suggest that you try a clean reinstall (this assumes you are using the home/free version of avast):
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.677 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall avast! (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

####
What do you mean by trying localhost proxy ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security