Author Topic: Side-by-side configuration is incorrect (???)  (Read 6640 times)

luis_pr

Side-by-side configuration is incorrect (???)
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:26:02 AM »
I have a HP HDX 16 PC running Windows Vista 64-bit and had Avast for a while. I was going to install a new version of Avast Free and decided to remove the program using the Control Panel and install the new version by following the links in Avast Website to CNET's Download Page. The install seemed to go ok but Avast did not start when the process finished. When I try to manually start it by going to Start/All Programs/etc, I get the error in the subject line. All I can say is "HU?"

I went to the Avast Website and downloaded an uninstall utility, ran it, tried to install and still got the error message.

What did I do? Help! ??? :'(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Side-by-side configuration is incorrect (???)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:01 AM »
I have a HP HDX 16 PC running Windows Vista 64-bit and had Avast for a while. I was going to install a new version of Avast Free and decided to remove the program using the Control Panel and install the new version by following the links in Avast Website to CNET's Download Page. The install seemed to go ok but Avast did not start when the process finished. When I try to manually start it by going to Start/All Programs/etc, I get the error in the subject line. All I can say is "HU?"

I went to the Avast Website and downloaded an uninstall utility, ran it, tried to install and still got the error message.

What did I do? Help! ??? :'(
[/quote) After installing new version make sure you reboot first if you haven't, what firewall are you using.

k.u.r.t

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 11:24:39 AM »
The "side-by-side" component is associated with the Vista Windows Resource Protection (WRP). You may have a corrupted copy of this component
Please install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package

for 32bit operating systems available here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en

for 64bit operating systems available here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BA9257CA-337F-4B40-8C14-157CFDFFEE4E&displaylang=en

domestictech

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 06:48:29 AM »
I was having the same problem....Thanks a million for the answer :D

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 07:03:41 AM »
Yes, that's what will fix it. For some reason the Avast!5 installer does not always correctly install the C++ 2008 files on Vista machines. I had the exact same thing happen.