Author Topic: Handling more than one account  (Read 3284 times)

fruity

Handling more than one account
« on: August 07, 2004, 02:10:52 AM »
I am using the home version of avast.  My wife and I use different POP3 servers. Her OE is configured in her XP account, and mine is configured in mine.  However when I enable email scanning in Avast, it only scans the pop server most recently configured in its settings.  It does not distinguish between OE settings in different accounts on the same machine.

Is this something which is provided in the Pro version, or is it a bug?

Thanks.
Fruity

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Handling more than one account
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 05:50:16 AM »
avast is not recognizing automatically new added email accounts. This will be corrected in next version (4.5). But, if you manually runs Mail Protection Wizard and manually configure your accounts you can set it very nice.
Do you have a different logon of your wife? If so, run MPW on both and manually configure the accounts.

Does this help?
The best things in life are free.

fruity

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 07:56:36 AM »
Yes it does _seem_ to_ work.  What is confusing is that the POP server settings do not appear to be sticky if you rerun the MPW.

For example
Login to OS account 1, run MPW, set POP server to pop.1.com
Login to OS account 2, run MPW, set POP server to pop.2.com
Login to OS account 1, run MPW, the dropdown from which you select the pop server is set to to pop.2.co.uk, not pop.1.com.

This is what I found confusing, I would expect the dropdown to reflect the currently set value for the current login.

As I said, the real setting must be correct as both accounts can collect email - hardly intuitive though.

Don't wish to sound like I am slagging off what is otherwise brilliant piece of software, I was just confused by this small point.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 01:50:17 PM »
... set POP server to pop.1.com ... set POP server to pop.2.com

As I said, the real setting must be correct as both accounts can collect email - hardly intuitive though.

Fruity, I'll try to explain this way:
The Pop server that you set is the default one. It can be just the one from your ISP. The service will use them only if your mail client doesn't provide them itself. Generally, it won't be necessary to choose more than one.

It does not seem to work, it works...
Next version, this dialog will be a better explanation, you're right, it's not intuitive.

fruity

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 01:57:40 PM »
I think I get you.
When OE attempts to connect to the pop server it actually connects to the Avast POP server.  When it gets authenticated, OE passes in <userid>#<popserver> as its userid.

Avast then connects to <popserver> and logs in on behalf of OE.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 02:05:38 PM »
Pretty good  :)