Author Topic: {Resolved} AIS Firewall: Application Rules and Network Zones  (Read 3719 times)

ImWarm

{Resolved} AIS Firewall: Application Rules and Network Zones
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:10:36 AM »
Hi, is the way that the Firewall configures the rules for applications different for each network zone (home, work, public)? And do the rules change when you switch zones? If so, then is there a way to prevent it from doing so? Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:04:02 AM by ImWarm »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: AIS Firewall: Application Rules and Network Zones
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »
I think AIS does not have this feature (change rules according to zones).
Maybe the more restrict you set the rules, the better in the public zone.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »
that's right the Zones don't have any impact on application rules at creation time, but they may have some on the auto-decide response after a rule has already been created. This must be tested to be confirmed and I haven't yet. Zones mainly set global policies regarding the system network behavior at LAN level, restricting more or less incoming connections.

edit: on a side note, as mentioned in another thread that I started a few days ago, network zones have no impact whatsoever on homegroup connections in Win7, unless IPV6 is deactivated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 02:49:58 PM by Logos »

ImWarm

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »
Thank you both. I do not want the rules to be impacted by the zones at the time they are created. (for example, having a mix of rules that suit different zones) However, I wouldn't mind if: there are separate sets of rules for each network setting that would switch, instead of a master list.

But, all is well now, thanks again. ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:14:06 PM by ImWarm »

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:02:27 PM »
Thank you both. I do not want the rules to be impacted by the zones at the time they are created. (for example, having a mix of rules that suit different zones) However, I wouldn't mind if: there are separate sets of rules for each network setting that would switch, instead of a master list.

But, all is well now, thanks again. ;D

okay, but what you want doesn't have much to do with network zones, more with profiles, and AIS, whether it's AV or FW related, doesn't support profiles.

ImWarm

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »
Yes, profile is the word im looking for