Author Topic: AIS firewall: a few questions (W7 related)  (Read 13506 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: AIS firewall: a few questions (W7 related)
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 05:39:36 PM »

edit: would be of course nice if IPV6 gets fully supported in a future release, and we don't have to turn it off.

Totaly agree. Althought I don't see it used that much around, since it is natively supported in Win7 it is a must. We are working on it.

randunyogo

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »
Hello guys,

I am sorry, but currently avast firewall does not support ipv6. The only way it can control ipv6 is via Packet rules, where you can create rule for protocol IPv6 (41) - but there you can basicaly just block IPv6 completely. IPv6 support will be added in future versions.

Avast Firewall does not disable Windows Firewall during install, not in part or as a whole - as far as I know.

Lukas.

Hi, When I try to set up a rule in the Packet Rules for IPv6, I select IPv6 (41) for the protocol and Block for the action, but when I click OK and close the window, the settings go back to Allow and All. Is this a bug?

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 08:56:39 PM »
an advice: don't play with packet rules, unless you're ready to go for a full AIS re-install. Happened to me already and to others, modifying is very often either not taken into account or breaks everything, last experience I got from that was a multicast internal IP not corresponding to my router's DHCP range, while obviously something got modified that ignored my router. While deactivating the firewall and rebooting solved the issue, there was no way to repair, as said I had to re-install AIS from scratch.

I guess we'll have to wait for 5.1 to get rid of some annoying bugs. But yeah, this is hardly acceptable for a supposed to be finish product. No offense guys but this firewall becomes easily very unstable when you play with advanced settings.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 08:59:36 PM by Logos »

randunyogo

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 09:11:51 PM »
Thanks for the tip Logos. Is it okay to leave IPv6 on for Vista then?

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »
Thanks for the tip Logos. Is it okay to leave IPv6 on for Vista then?

for Vista it doesn't matter, as LAN connections don't use IPV6 like on Seven, so yes, it's okay to leave it on. But you won't be protected on rare IPV6 WAN connections by Avast, only way would be to leave Windows Firewall active.

randunyogo

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 09:27:54 PM »
Ok thank you.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 11:43:43 PM »
Hi, the easiest way to disable IPv6 in Vista/Win7, if you don't use it at all, is disabling it right on the network adapter.

1) open the network control panel (e.g. by start/run and typing: ncpa.cpl)
2) find your local area connection (or Wireless Network Connection adapter - or both) and click properties
3) in the list of installed services choose Internet Protocol Version 6
4) uncheck the checkbox right next to it
5) click ok

This way you'll disable IPv6 on that adapter.

In avast firewall you can do it in the packet rules. Open the packet rules dialog, click add new rule, choose protocol 41, direction BOTH, action: DENY, click OK. Should be done.

I am afraid I must here confirm the bug on the dialog - it will display ALLOW again when the dialog is reopen, even when the rule is correctly set to block. This is a new present from the GUI team introduced with the latest program update. Its just the presentation layer (I mean, the rules are ok, just the dialog does not show it correctly) but I understand that does not makes much difference to you, guys. Sorry.

Hermite15

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 11:57:14 PM »
oh okay, so the rule is still respected, it's just a GUI issue, thanks for letting us know. I've had this problem before and thought my input was ignored.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »
Very ugly issue, since this was working just ok already before the last update. We have it of course fixed already, just waiting for some update to deliver it to you guys.