Author Topic: AVG and Avast  (Read 4445 times)

gtonic

AVG and Avast
« on: August 07, 2004, 10:24:17 AM »
Hey Everyone,

Well Ive used Norton ever since but until the subscription ended, ive been needing a good and reliable AV. Many people have recomended me AVG and have said its great. However, im also considering Avast. Could anyone tell me which one is better in terms of protection and viruses?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:AVG and Avast
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 10:36:39 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

I'm using Avast for many years. Started with the Home version and now using the Pro version. It never failed me. I let that speak for itself ;D

gtonic

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 10:48:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply Eddy :) Is there any differences with Home Edition and Professional?

bassbag

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 10:50:23 AM »
I used AVG free for 3 years (also trialed 7) , but found through various testing that avast detected more than AVG.Another plus is that when ive submitted files to avast that hasnt been detected ive had a reply and the updates have been within two days.This forum is also excellent for help and many alwil people post here too.I also for a while kept AVG on my computer as a backup (resident shield obviously not running but as an on demand scanner),but have now come to the conclusion that AVG offers no benefit over avast and use just avast.For a "second opinion" i now use kaspersky online as it is widely regarded as one of the best trojan scanners too.
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
It is however not a complete scan but files up to 1 meg  can be uploaded.
me

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 12:03:18 PM »
Is there any differences with Home Edition and Professional?
You really can't come up with the answer yourself? ;D

Ofcourse there is. Why give the exact same product two names, offering one for free and asking money for the other? That really wouldn't make sence, now would it?

Pro has a script blocker, is more configurable, has p2p scanning and some other things Home hasn't. You can read it all at here

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 01:57:54 PM »
Now come to the conclusion that AVG offers no benefit over avast

After all, I feel the same  8)
It's a good antivirus but offers no advantage over avast...  :P
The best things in life are free.

neal62

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 09:10:25 AM »
I used AVG for a while and then tried Avast. After comparing the two programs I personally came to the conclusion that Avast was quicker with updates when needed, has better support help, and also a great forum here that AVG did not have. :)

rosso_acido

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 10:23:43 AM »
I've been using both AVG Free and Avast Home on two different PCs since about the beginning of this year. I was pointed towards AVG when Norton messed my computer up so badly I had to format the HD.

Then, a few months later, I set up a second PC (the one I'm now posting from) on which I installed Avast! after having browsed the forums here as a guest, and read various reviews and opinions on the net.

What I can see is that Avast! is by far more agressive and effective with viruses, and I love the fact that it works so well with MailWasher, scanning the suspicious attachments and alerting me of them at the same time MailWasher does, in MW's very window. :)

I've also found the resource consumption not really worth worrying about, although AVG is somewhat more lightweight.

To sum everything up, I'd say I lean more towards Avast! as it has yet to fail me (AVG had a really hard time removing MSBlast from my XP PC). I'm also very happy to report that Avast! works flawlessly with Win 98 SE. :)

R. :)