Author Topic: Is Chrome Overtaking Firefox as Power Users' Browser of Choice?  (Read 6504 times)

YoKenny

Is Chrome Overtaking Firefox as Power Users' Browser of Choice?
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:32:41 PM »
Is Chrome Overtaking Firefox as Power Users' Browser of Choice?
posted by Thom Holwerda on Thu 23rd Sep 2010 21:36 UTC, submitted by google_ninja

Now this is a subject sure to cause some discussion among all of you. LifeHacker's Adam Pash is arguing that Chrome has overtaken Firefox as the browser of choice for what he calls 'power users'; polls among LifeHacker's readership indeed seem to confirm just that. He also gives a number of reasons as to why this is the case.It's no secret to some that I'm a massive fan of Google's Chrome web browser. When Chrome was first released to the public, the difference in speed between Firefox and Chrome were as large as the difference between Firefox and Internet Exploer 6 back in the day. It was simply a massive step forward, with a cleaner user interface and much better browsing performance.
http://www.osnews.com/story/23833/Is_Chrome_Overtaking_Firefox_as_Power_Users_Browser_of_Choice_

At the bottom
So, did you make the switch? Why (not)?

Google Chrome works great on my XP Pro system however I still prefer IE9 on Windows 7!  8)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:34:46 PM by YoKenny »

spg SCOTT

Re: Is Chrome Overtaking Firefox as Power Users' Browser of Choice?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 09:56:54 PM »
I am still with firefox...I am spoilt by the addons etc. and am particlarly lazy ;D

I do however have a copy of a portable version of iron (based on chrome) for when I am on an older pc. In that respect it wins hands down every time.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:39:42 PM »
I haven't a clue what a power user is meant to be, one of those dumb a** categorisations without meaning, after all we are talking about a browser here not rocket science.

I too have much invested in the add-ons in firefox that make my browsing, suit my needs and give additional security. Chrome is still way behind in that regard and that is just one reason I use firefox over chrome, not any cr** about the power user nonsense.

I have tried chrome a few times along its unbelievable version numbering path and I haven't liked the experience, whilst it is quick, speed isn't the only ting to a browser and the difference really isn't something anyone (certainly me) noticed in routine browsing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DangerDan

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 01:23:41 AM »
You just cant beat addblock plus  8)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 07:24:41 AM »
Firefox works the best for me even though it might not be the fastest. They only test JavaScript anyway, but when you take entire webpage into consideration, Firefox is still very fast. I've tried Chrome several times and also gave up on it several times.

AdBlock is far from perfect (like in FF), mouse gesture extensions are lame and they don't work on some pages (again unlike FF ones that work perfectly). GMail Notifier extensions are not nearly as good as the one for FF. There is also hardly any way to re-organize Chrome menus the way i'd like to have them. FF again wins hands down here.
And syncing has the history and password syncing which i find super useful. Chrome still doesn't have it.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 10:29:58 AM »
And syncing has the history and password syncing which i find super useful. Chrome still doesn't have it.

didn't you say a few times that Firefox sync was garbage? which is actually true and I agree on that. So why praising the feature now ???

Trust me, you don't want to move to Firefox Sync, because it's garbage.

another thing, if you had spent more time on Chrome (which I don't advise you, you just do what you want this is not my problem), you would have noticed that even though this is not mentioned in the options of "sync", history gets synced too after a while. Passwords do not though, but no big deal as the sync feature as well as the password manager in Chrome are crap. I lost data a few times when using Chrome "sync". They said they fixed that but I don't trust it. As to weave, indeed it worked better during the beta phase than now, + it offered more options.
 There are other ways to sync, fortunately.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »
I made the switch cause i love Chrome's speed and the clean GUI. I don't care about mouse gestures, never used them and probably never will. The Gmail Checker Plus extension is just fine IMO and i never had any problems with it. For password manager i use LastPass anyway(just like i did on FF), syncing bookmarks and settings works fine for me so far, never had a problem with it. Since Pol isn't here to give us his usuall list of security extensions, for those of you that are on Chrome and want to try some security and privacy extensions, here are some security and privacy extensions i came across in my searches(i use some of them myself):

NotScripts
Better Pop Up Blocker
AdBlock
Ghostery
NOREF
Secbrowsing
Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on
Click&Clean
KB SSL Enforcer
BitDefender QuickScan
FlashControl
Encrypt the Cloud
Google Secure Search over SSL
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:00:39 AM by m416 »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:30:30 AM »
Though Firefox is a comfortable old friend, lately, I've been using Chrome stable on my Windows partition, and Chromium on my Linux partition. Not because it's better necessarily, but just because it's something different. Only fanboys, and writers looking to sell articles, try make the choice between the two, any more important than that. Both are fine browsers.

Dalewyn

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 12:40:51 PM »
I personally have Firefox, IE8, Opera, Chrome (severely outdated!) and Chromium all installed side-by-side as each have their pros and cons. My main browser of choice is Firefox (NoScript is awesome!), with Chromium taking the light when I need to do anything heavy-duty related to Flash or Javascript.

To be frank, as a browser Chrome/Chromium is quite nice though it has its share of problems. It is fast, on par with Firefox and Opera, and even faster with Javascript and Flash. I dislike its RAM overhead from separating each window/tab into an independent process, however. There is also no equivalent to Firefox's NoScript, though this isn't actually Chrome/Chromium's problem and blaming the browser is misleading.

I also absolutely despise Google Updater. Why do they bundle that thing when all the browser itself (specifically, Chromium) takes is a simple overwrite of its files with a newer build to update it? Google Updater updates thing it has no relation or business with, it lingers in the background, and it creates crap in my Scheduled Tasks all without asking me. Completely and downright disgusting, I say. Google did not do Chromium justice.

But to go back to the actual query of the topic, no, I haven't made the switch. Even though my main browser of choice is Firefox, all the browsers I've come across have something that makes them stand out and worth using when the situation calls for them. Really, it's hard to pick just one out of them!

I've loved IE since its IE6 days, incidentally. :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:43:21 PM by Dalewyn »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »

didn't you say a few times that Firefox sync was garbage? which is actually true and I agree on that. So why praising the feature now ???

Trust me, you don't want to move to Firefox Sync, because it's garbage.

another thing, if you had spent more time on Chrome (which I don't advise you, you just do what you want this is not my problem), you would have noticed that even though this is not mentioned in the options of "sync", history gets synced too after a while. Passwords do not though, but no big deal as the sync feature as well as the password manager in Chrome are crap. I lost data a few times when using Chrome "sync". They said they fixed that but I don't trust it. As to weave, indeed it worked better during the beta phase than now, + it offered more options.
 There are other ways to sync, fortunately.

And i still think so. Xmarks is the answer to that. And yes, even though Chrome also can use it, it can't sync History and other things aren't as flexible.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
And i still think so. Xmarks is the answer to that.
But Xmarks is history. It's being discontinued.

I've been using Chrome as my default since it became available but still have
Firefox, Opera and IE available for occasion use.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Gandalf_The_Grey

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 04:55:26 PM »
If you are not using Windows XP Firefox 4 Beta 6 is catching up nicely:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
On Windows XP there is a bug with https connections that's is fixed in the latest nightly builds. 

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 11:41:13 PM »
I just concentrate on browsing not the frames and i think chrome is better,you concentrate on ff addons features and forget the main goal of browsing.
Chrome rock.
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 11:51:44 PM »
Sorry but that doesn't hold water for me, the purpose of my add-ons is to make the browsing experience more in line with my use of the browser and to make life easier. Not to mention the security based add-ons.

I have about 30 add-ons and all but two are for functionality rather than form/aesthetics (the default firefox theme, being as ugly as sin).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security