Author Topic: XP Home chkdsk looping  (Read 3769 times)

Tiago44

XP Home chkdsk looping
« on: October 07, 2010, 05:40:50 PM »
For a couple of days now, since I installed AVAST 5.0 PRO, when I run chkdsk C:/f and reboot, the boot is fine until scandisk completed the three phase scan.  It gives the usual "all is well," then proceeds to boot up but begins the scandisk again, and this repeats over and over.

I did not suspect a connection to the recently installed av software until upon searching on the Internet on the subject the words "new av program
" emerged several times.  I have reinstalled AVAST 5.0 Pro, and I will be trying chkdsk again soon, but not before I have several successful boots without running it.  I want to have a last good starr up option on my F8 startup selection.....if you know anything concrete on this matter, please let me know.  Thanks!

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: XP Home chkdsk looping
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:37:56 PM »
It seems like the chkdsk has been scheduled in the registry, but it's not clearing itself.

Some security programs (especially Spybot S&D) protect the registry, and for that reason, the checkdisk keeps running.

Do you have Spybot installed?

If not, have a look at this thread: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-72388.php
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline PTRPRO

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 10:09:21 PM »
Run chkdsk/r and see if it stops cycling.
Packard Motorcars said "Ask the man who owns one". They're not in business anymore.

Tiago44

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:06:58 PM »
I want to thank you for your help!  I had already run chkdsk C:/r to no avail whatsoever. I also went to the link above, copied the instructions, and did everything accordingly.  It was a learning experience, however it did not fix it.  This morning, I got out of bed, came to my PC Tower turned it on, and it began looping, however this time, I read in my Bible as I usually do on my Bible software each morning.  When I was just about finished the looping stopped, and I was given the option (among several others) to open as usual or open the last good boot, so I selected the first and I am now using that PC.  I do not know if it is fixed or not, but I do know if I do not touch start > run > chkdsk C:/F for the time being, it reboots just fine.  I also ran a full scan with AVAST 5.0.  Again I thank you all from the bottom of my stony heart!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:51:43 PM by Tiago44 »

Tiago44

Re: XP Home chkdsk looping (Resolved for me at least)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 02:44:44 PM »
It simply would not stop looping until I managed to get to the opening options (F8).  At first SAFE MODE would not open, then I held down the enter key until it opened.  After this I found a working restore point in the system restore option, activated it and waited.  Much to my displeasure, chkdsk C:/f began to run, I let it, and there were three "orphan files" recovered, but then Windows XP opened.  I am happy and using this thing again.  I realize I posted another manner above, which worked, ONCE, but not again, so this is the good'n.  I hope this helps someone.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 03:30:35 PM »

Thanks for posting what worked for you, Tiago44, and hopefully it will help others with a similar problem.

Tiago44

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 10:35:49 AM »
Here is the latest on the solution for chkdsk looping, and it totally works for me.  I am using XP Home SP3.  My installation is Spanish, should this information be pertainent.

Run your chkdsk C:/f, when it has finished scanning and it begins to reboot depress the F8 key at the appropriate time. Select safe boot, then depress and hold the enter key until it responds.  This may take several minutes, so don't get jiggy, and don't push the key harder and harder like I tend to do, simply rest that finger on it.  When it boots in safe mode wait until everything is totally open (play open space or solitaire once), and now you can reboot.

I hope this works for YOU.............tiago