Author Topic: Think I have a problem..  (Read 3718 times)

Sammeh01

Think I have a problem..
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »
Hi, first post here, hope you can help.

I've been using Avast for a while and i've had no problems with it so far (brilliant AV). I booted up my computer today and I noticed something..strange. My Tasmanager wouldn't display the processes coreectly, it shows all the things being run but it doesn't have any of the names next to it ( like administrator, system, local service etc). The System idol process was running at 99 CPU.

At first I though it was a registry issue because I restarted and got stuck on the "saving your settings" screen, I had a look at the event log and it said - "Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.  " . No idea what that means at all.

At this point I ran CHKDSK to check everything - didn't come up with any problems so I started looking for something more malicious and bingo. Avast found "Threat: Win32:Malware gen" . Again I have no idea what this is and i'm hoping you could help me. Everytime I try to move it to chest ro repair it the Av program freezes and I have to restart the computer to get ti to respond again. This was located in C:WINDOWS/system32/HPZim12.exe and another at C:WINDOWS/system32/spool/drivers/w32x86/3/HPZIM12.EXE. I have a HP printer installed but should the files for it really be located there?

I'm running Windows XP Proffesional SP3 with Avast version 5.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Think I have a problem..
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 07:52:50 PM »
I'd download, install, then run malwarebytes in safe mode with networking.

And in order to get rid of the, "Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.  " problem, have a look at the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

That error is very common in windows xp.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Sammeh01

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
I have them both, however when I try to run Malwarebytes it freezes too. I can't remember how to boot into safe mode so that's probably why. :P

And same with the hive cleanup, I went onto the windows website, downloaded it and then I couldn't install it. Windows installer would just freeze too.

I'm just abover an average level computer user really, but I'm the only one in the house that knows the slightest thing about computers.

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 08:25:58 PM »
I'd download, install, then run malwarebytes in safe mode with networking.

And in order to get rid of the, "Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.  " problem, have a look at the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582&displaylang=en

That error is very common in windows xp.

as far as i know mbam is even better in normal mode
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:15:20 PM by Left123 »
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Left123

• There Is No Patch For Human Stupidity.
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Proud Community Member&Helper.
AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ - 2.20 GHz,3,00 GB RAM -
Browser:Mozilla Firefox +WOT - SoftWare:CCleaner - Windows 7 32 bit
No Anti-Virus