Author Topic: Finjan Vital Security For Firefox Not Updated?  (Read 25051 times)

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
Re: Finjan Vital Security For Firefox Not Updated?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 06:28:48 AM »
It's not just you, I have the same problem. :-\
We aren't the ones with a problem. ;D
You're speaking about the images in my post? I'm using radikal.ru to display images and I can see them without any problem. Maybe they are blocked by something like MBAM resident protection?

Now you can see my screenshots attached to this post.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:58:46 AM by George Yves »
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 06:55:38 AM »
it looks like the company have consciously modified the xpi file effectively blocking anything higher than firefox 3.0.* as in my image, that is what they are currently serving up right now. When they made this change I don't know, but obviously after you installed/updated it.
I've just downloaded and un-zipped the extension's XPI-file to look into its install.rdf. You're absolutely right: they modified it to be compatible with 1.5-3.0.* only. I really didn't know about that and I want to apologize if I insulted you and SpeedyPC.

Try uninstalling at (not advised if you want to use it) and then try to install what is on the site, your in for a shock it won't work.
I see no much help from this extension but I don't want now to experiment with it. I'm thinking to get rid of it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:57:50 AM by George Yves »

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 02:13:38 PM »
I really didn't know about that and I want to apologise if I insulted you and SpeedyPC.

George it no need to apologise it cool no hard feeling I didn't realised you had to amended some of the firefox extension file to allow Finjan add-on to work on the latest browser version, that's very clever and it not the very scene-able way to do this because you can damage firefox very badly if you had to uninstall the finjan extension file you could end up leave junk behind inside the firefox browser which it not very good.

SpeedyPC
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 03:12:13 PM »
I really didn't know about that and I want to apologise if I insulted you and SpeedyPC.

No offence taken and no need to apologise, all we were trying to do was clarify the situation,

George it no need to apologise it cool no hard feeling I didn't realised you had to amended some of the firefox extension file to allow Finjan add-on to work on the latest browser version, that's very clever and it not the very scene-able way to do this because you can damage firefox very badly if you had to uninstall the finjan extension file you could end up leave junk behind inside the firefox browser which it not very good.

SpeedyPC

You shouldn't have had to modify the installation file or firefox to get it to work, the problem arises from the company changing the installation file that allowed it to run on firefox versions up to 3.7.

George just happened to be fortunate to have download or updated the add-on before the company arbitrarily changed it effectively dumping current firefox versions. When a company is prepared to get up to this nonsense I wouldn't be using it anyway. Personally I tried it some time ago and ditched it as it slowed the search results, etc. (I was on dial-up then).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 07:51:57 PM »
DavidR
You're right. I've uninstalled Finjan and my Firefox began to fly.  :)

SpeedyPC
Sorry but I can't quite understand the English you used in your post. Is it a dialect?

clemenzina

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »
George's experience makes sense to me, because I had Finjan working fine in an earlier FF 3.6.*, but then got a new netbook and bingo! *sob*

I really miss Finjan.  WoT is no substitute because (IMO) its ratings are so easily distorted by Joe Public.

Is there another pre-visit site scanner that a non-techie could use in FF 3.6.12?

Windows7 Home Premium.

clemenzina :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »
Is there another pre-visit site scanner that a non-techie could use in FF 3.6.12?

Well, avast does block malicious sites... ;)
For safer surfing you should also add NoScript to FF..!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

clemenzina

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 03:50:17 PM »
You are quite right, Asyn, and I used to have NoScript but got muddled with it (I am rather old and doddery).

HOWEVER!!!

I thought to myself, why pay for all-in phone calls and not dive into the unknown free-of-charge occasionally?  So I phoned M86 (01256 848 080) and a young man told me that Finjan has become "M86 Secure Web Gateway", which is being re-branded and updated to cope with today's threats and which will be available for us private users FREE within ("can't promise exactly", he said) a few weeks!  AND, "it will be better than Finjan" :o

Breath-holding not recommended ;)

clemenzina

YoKenny

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 07:17:28 PM »
George's experience makes sense to me, because I had Finjan working fine in an earlier FF 3.6.*, but then got a new netbook and bingo! *sob*

I really miss Finjan.  WoT is no substitute because (IMO) its ratings are so easily distorted by Joe Public.

Windows7 Home Premium.

On Windows 7 I switched to IE9
IE9, FF4 Beta In Real-World Benchmark
http://www.lucidchart.com/blog/2010/09/16/ie9-ff4-beta-in-real-world-benchmark

I don't mess with NoScript as it has to be kept up to date more than IE iself.  ;)

I do like Google Chrome on my XP Pro system though.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
It doesn't have to be kept up to date manually so it isn't a chore, add-ons can be automatically updated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 08:18:13 PM »
It doesn't have to be kept up to date manually so it isn't a chore, add-ons can be automatically updated.
Yea but you are only using XP that is as close to being a Dinosaur as can be.

Your system is well capable of running Windows 7 64bit but you resist and I fail to understand why ???

Maybe you like old stuff ???

Maybe you are stuck in the back woods of England with no clear view that the world is changing and you are stuck in the boonies with low Internet access speed and terrible English weather that would drown a duck unless it had Wellington Boots.

I see you are here for an argument:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:21:28 PM by YoKenny »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »
Yea but you are only using XP that is as close to being a Dinosaur as can be.
<snip>

So bloody what, if I had Vista or win7 I would still be using firefox as it suits my needs and NoScript would be a part of that, which as I said can be automatically kept up to date and isn't a chore.

What has this got to do with your previous comment and my reply, answer nothing.

So there you go off in a totally wild tangent as per normal.

clemenzina

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 10:39:59 PM »

I tried a beta a couple of weeks ago - it crawled and froze most of the time :(

I have Chrome now on W7, I use it for certain sites, eg a favourite forum and GMail.

I hope that alert members here will update this thread when the reborn Finjan is released :D  Dozy me will probably miss it, I can't see that we can subscribe to an M86 newsletter ???

clemenzina

YoKenny

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 11:10:36 PM »

I tried a beta a couple of weeks ago - it crawled and froze most of the time :(

I have Chrome now on W7, I use it for certain sites, eg a favourite forum and GMail.

I hope that alert members here will update this thread when the reborn Finjan is released :D  Dozy me will probably miss it, I can't see that we can subscribe to an M86 newsletter ???
As you are a Newbie here I suggest with only 3 posts you read a bit more. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUhR2o6VGWU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lY0_yIQM8Y&feature=channel

How much RAM does the system have?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:12:08 PM by YoKenny »

clemenzina

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 12:42:23 AM »

As you are a Newbie here I suggest with only 3 posts you read a bit more. ;)

Not so new that I have to mass-quote so that it is not clear what I am responding to ;)

How much RAM does the system have?

3gb DDR3 :)

clemenzina (>>>gawn awf to YouTube >>>)

EDIT: Touch-screens and comparisons Windows7:Vista - have you made a mistake with your links ???
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:49:24 AM by clemenzina »