Author Topic: Avast detects Win32:Hupigon-ONX [Trj]  (Read 4077 times)

zhaoweijie

Avast detects Win32:Hupigon-ONX [Trj]
« on: October 11, 2010, 02:57:37 AM »
Hi avast experts, I need some help here.

I was doing my routine scan on all my hard drives and on 10 Oct 2010 it detects a threat of Win32:Hupigon-ONX [Trj].

The funny thing is that it only occurs on my very last image (I have 01 to 08 images, 08 being the latest) of the Acronis image.

Thus, I have deleted all the suspected images.

Things I have done :-
1. Recover using my image 07 which is threat free. Did a acronis backup and name it "final.tib". Scanned with avast, same threat detect.
2. Done a boot scan, no discovery
3. Using acronis resue disc to boot into recovery mode and destroy C drive using the inbuild disk wipe, recover image 07, back up another time. Same issue.
4. Start up another set of PC, update avast definitions, scanned the latest image, threat found! Win32:Hupigon-ONX [Trj]
5. Download Avira and Kaspersky, scanned the image with the stated threat. It comes out clean
6. Copied the suspected image file, brought it to scan at my office using mcafee, nothing found.

My PC is running on WinXP Pro SP3, all patches done. Avast updated to latest.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast detects Win32:Hupigon-ONX [Trj]
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:36:51 AM »
5. Download Avira and Kaspersky, scanned the image with the stated threat. It comes out clean
never install more then one AV on your pc, as having multiple AV can create lots of mysterious windows errors and false detections

Upload the file(s) (max 20mb) to www.virustotal.com and test it with 43 malware scanners
when you have the result, copy the URL in the address bar and post it here

zhaoweijie

Re: Avast detects Win32:Hupigon-ONX [Trj]
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »
Hi Pondus,

thanks for the help! :)

No, I did not install all AV at one go.

What I did was, recover, fully uninstall one AV (folders and registry as well) then reboot, install another AV to test.

As the file was about 3GB, I tired a few online scanning sites but unable to upload it due to its size.