Author Topic: Qu: Configuration for small perso LAN  (Read 3555 times)

cooldiode

Qu: Configuration for small perso LAN
« on: August 03, 2004, 12:51:13 PM »
Avast! 4 Home is a very interesting solution.

Question : How to update from a LAN ?

I expect to build a small personal (and non commercial) LAN using an old PC as a router, with a proxy software like FreeProxy. I would use Windows 2000 Pro.

Such a proxy features dial-on-demand and auto hangup on line inactive, so that the router PC is unable to connect by itself to Internet, only on query from a client station.

So the Avast installed on the router PC can be set to auto-update everytime a connection occurs.

But the client stations cannot do so, to avoid dialing frequently. So 2 solutions are possible :
- setup Avast for manual update only,
- setup Avast to automatically update from the proxy PC rather than from Internet.

Is there a natural way to do this ?

Thank you for your help.

CD

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Qu: Configuration for small perso LAN
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 05:13:06 PM »
Avast automaticly checks for updates automaticly when a computer gets connected to the net. After that it does it every 4 hours. Looks to me like you just can use the standard setting in Avast.

cooldiode

Re: Configuration for small perso LAN
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 02:56:30 PM »
Hello,

and thank you.

Er... as a LAN supposes at least 2 PC, this leads to connecting twice every 4 hours (depending on the boot time for each one).

If updating then hanging up takes 8mn with the proxy timeout, this will by itself eat a standard 50h/month Internet subscription !     :o :-[

I wonder if I could setup a small internal HTTP server on the proxy PC, and change the servers.def file for others to make them automatically update from the proxy on the LAN.
All that is left is to copy the files normally downloaded by the proxy to an appropriate directory.  ??? ::)

Should be possible... And necessary, many people still don't have a time unlimited connection.

Any further suggestion ?

Thanx a lot.

CD
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 02:59:17 PM by cooldiode »

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 05:33:06 PM »
In the settings of the simple user interface you can specify a proxy for updates.
You could use linux for the router/firewall.I have found some instructions on the net.
-max

cooldiode

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 08:21:05 AM »
Hello MadMax.

Of course, I've heard about, and evaluated IPCop.

I currently use a Win2000-based proxy system since it also has other useful functions in my LAN. Maybe I will change later.

So I already update thru this proxy, but that's not my real problem. I'd just like not to have to try to update **manually** on every station, and as I computed in my previous post, allowing them to do it automatically **from the Internet server** would result in about 50h communication per month.

So what I expect is to make them update automatically, but from an internal server located on the LAN (on the proxy PC), and that would make available the files that itself would have downloaded from the Internet server, automatically but only when connected (as the proxy is denied to connect by itself).

In license terms, such a procedure is equivalent to separately updating several PCs located on a small perso LAN, it is just nicer, and cheaper for modem connected people.

I still have some freeware micro-HTTP servers I can use, I just have to find a way to detect when Avast-on-my-proxy-PC brings new update files, then make them available to the micro-HTTP server.

Did the info you found talk about such an operation ?

Thanx,
Greetings,
CD