Author Topic: Ticket times out - need help with false positive  (Read 2114 times)

tbeck

Ticket times out - need help with false positive
« on: October 11, 2010, 05:02:51 PM »
I have been trying to submit a ticket and upload a zipped file that Free Avast says has malware, however other antivirus software doe not show anything.

The ticket I submit times-out every time and I am unable to get help with this. Where can I send this to have it checked by Avast?

I reported it as a false positive several weeks ago, but have heard nothing back.

Can someone help me with this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Ticket times out - need help with false positive
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 05:21:18 PM »
Why not post the information here, though the viruses and worms forum would be the correct place.

What is the malware name, the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (malware name, C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive. Now exclude that folder in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\*
That will stop the File System Shield scanning any file you put in that folder.

If only GData and avast detect it - GData uses avast as one of its two scanners so counts as 1 detection and almost certainly an FP.
Send the sample to avast as a False Positive:
Open the chest and right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tbeck

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 05:49:23 PM »
We are a small publisher. The problem is a eBook in PDF format that was created by a our Spanish publisher, who created other files that did not cause this same problem.

If we sell this eBook, customers who use Avast will think they are getting a virus along with their eBook.

Avast says this below -

Malware name: PDF:CVE-2009-0658 [Expl
Malware type: Exploit
VPS Version 100317-0,03/17/2010

What is this and how can it be on this file, but not the others from the publisher.

All other antivirus programs says this file is fine.

I reported the false positive when it first came up about 3 weeks ago, but have not heard anything back from Avast.

tbeck

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 08:58:21 PM »
Well,that seems to have worked. Thanks!