Author Topic: Boot scan operation  (Read 8504 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Boot scan operation
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
And from my side the malware appears to be gone  ;D  Any further problems before I remove my tools ?

SRU1X

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 08:29:23 PM »
Left it doing another Boot scan today - added my aux drive  F: to the schedule and this time it moved six items to the chest. Maybe this time it's all clear, but I've been here several times already. Boot scan Log attached.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »
Unfortunately none of my tools examine extra drives - they just do your main (Windows) drive

So I can say that your C drive appears clear of malware that is all

SRU1X

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 10:15:39 PM »
Unfortunately none of my tools examine extra drives - they just do your main (Windows) drive

OK, thanks for the help anyway. I'm still finding it difficult to understand why Avast has found six items on the F: drive today when it found just one item (Trojan-gen) a week ago (going by the contents of my virus chest). I'm losing track of the circumstances though - it may have been when the Boot scan was dropping out early and I had scheduled both C and F drives. When I was trying to figure out the problem with boot scanning I tried to keep it simple and only scan the C drive. However, I've definately run scans from the desktop on the F: drive in the meantime and the six found today didn't crop up. Can't help thinking that freah instances are being generated...

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 11:00:02 PM »
Do you have the names of the files detected ?

SRU1X

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 11:19:11 AM »
Do you have the names of the files detected ?
Sorry, I can't find a text log of the names anywhere - the best I seem to be able to do is attach a screenshot of the virus chest. I sorted by date of transfer to the chest and you can see that all the trouble started for me just a week ago.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 11:30:40 AM »

OK, thanks for the help anyway. I'm still finding it difficult to understand why Avast has found six items on the F: drive today when it found just one item (Trojan-gen) a week ago (going by the contents of my virus chest). I'm losing track of the circumstances though - it may have been when the Boot scan was dropping out early and I had scheduled both C and F drives. When I was trying to figure out the problem with boot scanning I tried to keep it simple and only scan the C drive. However, I've definately run scans from the desktop on the F: drive in the meantime and the six found today didn't crop up. Can't help thinking that freah instances are being generated...
If not already done. you can check your extra drive with

Dr.Web CureIt http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en
How Do I Use Dr.Web CureIt!? http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/how_it_works/
Norman Malware Cleaner http://www.norman.com/support/support_tools/58732/

save to desktop and run, they are not installed so when done you just dragg them to them to the bin

SRU1X

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 10:44:42 PM »
Thanks Pondus. Not seen those scanners before. Dr Web found and deleted one instance of unp30432.tmp;C:\WINDOWS\temp;Win32.HLLM.Klez.4 and reported that my hosts file had been messed around with so I let it go ahead and restore it. Will do a full scan tomorrow (the quick one took over four hours today). So it seems I'm not out of the woods yet :(

I'd like to ask why Avast isn't coming to my rescue here - it appears to be locating malware and moving it to the chest but more is being generated to take its place all the while. That's what it seems like to me anyway.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »
Will do a full scan tomorrow (the quick one took over four hours today).
Then you need lots of coffee and a movie if/when you run Norman, it is a slow but thorough scanner   ;D