Author Topic: Zonealarm & Ad-ware?  (Read 3738 times)

The Stranger

Zonealarm & Ad-ware?
« on: August 08, 2004, 10:21:02 PM »
I heard an item on the news yesterday about a scam whereby a hacker changed the dial-up phone number to a Premium rate number. The PC owner then had an internet call bill of almost £1000 to pay :(.  So I am thinking of installing a spyware and adware programme.

If I install Zonealarm and Ad-ware will those applications cause conflicts with my Avast!4?

I am on 98SE and use IE with dial-up connection.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Zonealarm & Ad-ware?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 10:38:52 PM »
Zonealarm is a firewall, you should already have one  ;)

Ad-aware is good, but there is not application that can handle all spy-/adware so I suggest you also get spybot s&d.

None of the application will conflict with eachother.

For more info, have a look at the page in my signature.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 11:58:10 PM »
I would also suggest Spyware Blaster & Spyware Guard both from the same comapny and compliment each other and both work well alongside avast.

JavaCool Software
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

David90

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 12:30:16 AM »
I have Zone Alarm, AdAware 6, Spybot Search and Destroy and Avast all installed.  The only problem I've had is that Avast reports the reference and quarantined files for both of the Spyware scanners as containing viruses, when in fact it's just the reference files.  All I did is add those folders into the Avast ignore list when doing a complete scan and that solved the problem.  All three applications are free and are a must for anyone concerned with online security!  You may also want to consider using an alternative to Internet Explorer.  I've tried Opera and Mozilla Firefox and they work great and aren't a high profile target like Internet Explorer is.  Don't go online without a Firewall!  Good Luck!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 12:34:33 AM by David90 »

The Stranger

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 01:52:12 AM »
Thanks for your replies guys. Your advice is much appreciated. I'll get the programmes you've recommended installed immediately.