Author Topic: Web Shield versus Web Shield  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Snagglegrain

Web Shield versus Web Shield
« on: October 12, 2010, 06:54:06 PM »
Avast me hearties, I have a question for you sea dogs...

Since I have Online Armor onboard, and it features a Web Shield,
and since avast's Web Shield seems to have its problems (at least with reporting info about infected items found),
and since I don't want to run two Web Shields simultaneously,
what are your opinions on turning off avast's Web Shield
and turning on OA's Web Shield?
Currently I am running it the other way around... avast on, OA off.
 :) 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web Shield versus Web Shield
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:49:54 PM »
No contest, avast's web shield and I have never used OA. It can't possibly match what the avast web shield is protecting against as OA isn't an anti-virus.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:56:22 PM »
Avast me hearties, I have a question for you sea dogs...

Since I have Online Armor onboard, and it features a Web Shield,
and since avast's Web Shield seems to have its problems (at least with reporting info about infected items found),
and since I don't want to run two Web Shields simultaneously,
what are your opinions on turning off avast's Web Shield
and turning on OA's Web Shield?
Currently I am running it the other way around... avast on, OA off.
I was informed by SafeSurf when i tried this firewall that it is better to leave both of the web shield's on as they dont clash and that they are slighly different than each other.

randunyogo

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »
No contest, avast's web shield and I have never used OA. It can't possibly match what the avast web shield is protecting against as OA isn't an anti-virus.

+1

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 12:22:52 AM »
I was informed by SafeSurf when i tried this firewall that it is better to leave both of the web shield's on as they dont clash and that they are slighly different than each other.
SafeSurf always has very solid advice.  I think I will turn OA's Web Shield back on and see how it goes.
Thanks for the input, craigb.  :)

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:33:02 AM »
I'm sure you know this, DavidR, so for those reading this that might not know it, OA++ has both AV and AM. 
OA's Web Shield has recently been made available for users of the free version, which is pretty cool.
For anyone interested in the kind of coverage that OA's Web Shield provides, look here.
I have both shields running as of a few minutes ago.   ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 01:27:56 AM »
Surely that is a) only with the paid OA++ option that it has an AV (your signature indicated the free OA which was what my comment was based) and b) if it has an av element then that should be uninstalled as having two resident AVs is a no, no.

I really can't say how they can say that with it you don't need an AV but if you have, it is compatible with a 3rd party AV. I can't see how that is possible it can't really provide resident on-access protection (using low level drivers) to intercept calls to run files so they may be scanned before being allowed to run.

It is in the low level drivers that this conflict can occur as the two sets of low level drivers fighting for control over the locking of the file so it can be scanned.

So my guess in their comment "While you do not need to use an antivirus program with Online Armor ++ to keep your system free of infection, you still have the option to do so." I would have tought that meant dropping it down to an on-demand only scanner, but the next sentence doesn't seem to imply that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 02:27:07 AM »
Appreciate the input, DavidR.  :)

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:35:31 AM »
The Web Shields for both OA and Avast work differently and do not conflict with each other.  Should you have problems (usually due to other reasons), then I suggest excluding both software from each other (e.g. exclude OA in Avast, and Avast in OA) .  I've been using both software on all versions of OA and Avast for quite some time with both Web Shields on and having no conflicts at all.

OA++ does have AV protection.  If you have Avast, there is no need for the OA++ since you already have AV protection.  Therefore you would only need to keep OA Premium as you have (or for others reading you can also keep OA Free if you like which has slightly less protection). 

@ Snagglegrain, The prior bug of having to install OA prior to the AV has been fixed. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions since I am familiar with both software.  Thank you.  :)

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »
The Web Shields for both OA and Avast work differently and do not conflict with each other.  Should you have problems (usually due to other reasons), then I suggest excluding both software from each other (e.g. exclude OA in Avast, and Avast in OA) .  I've been using both software on all versions of OA and Avast for quite some time with both Web Shields on and having no conflicts at all.
Very much appreciate the reminder to add each program in the other's exclusion list.
I had it one way, but had neglected to add in the other.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 09:45:51 AM »
No problem.  Glad I could help.  Let me know if you have any further issues or concerns.  :)