Author Topic: Files could not be scanned - archive password protected [Resolved]  (Read 11541 times)

YXtanyaXY

I have the free AV (version 5.0.545) on windows XP SP3.
I always scan downloaded files prior to running them. I downloaded the following file: K-Lite_Codec_Pack_640_Standard.exe (Decoder software for a DVD player) but scanning the containing folder and the program resulted in:
"Some files could not be scanned" - "Show Results" shows about 60 files all relating to "K-Lite_Codec_Pack_640_Standard.exe". - and having the same error message "error: archive is password protected (5-digit number)".
There was no warning on the Web site or when I downloaded the file (and the scan gave no warning either)
1. How can I scan these “password protected” archive files?
2. Is it actually necessary to scan them?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:32:14 PM by YXtanyaXY »

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Have you ever downloaded a file that was password protected?

If you still want to scan it, you can always use Ultimate ZIP Cracker:
http://download.cnet.com/Ultimate-ZIP-Cracker/3000-2092_4-10040839.html

VirusTotal Results: http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/report.html?id=86236613df6485671bd8cd23531a6746ccfdd7db712030395344b881e2b83e2d-1286927845

Official Site Scanned From Url Void: http://urlvoid.com/scan/www.vdgsoftware.com
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

1. Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it). This could also include software protection as appears to be the case here.

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to.

2. Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

So I certainly wouldn't waste any processing effort or time in trying to crack any password as it is pointless.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YXtanyaXY

Hi and thank you for the reply.
Please see responses inline below

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

1. Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it). This could also include software protection as appears to be the case here.

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to.

All of the files that are unable to be scanned are from the same program “K-Lite Codec Pack Standard”. I have scanned 2 copies each from different Web sites – both have the following:

"Some files could not be scanned" - "Show Results" shows about 60 files all relating to "K-Lite_Codec_Pack_640_Standard.exe" - all have same error message "error: archive is password protected (5-digit number)”

2. Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

So I certainly wouldn't waste any processing effort or time in trying to crack any password as it is pointless.
So in other words, I should just run the file and Avast will alert me if something is ominous?

Thanks again!
Tanya

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
So in other words, I should just run the file and Avast will alert me if something is ominous?
That's it.
The K-lite pack has a good reputation (if downloaded from a reputable place) so it's very unlikely to harbour a nasty, also.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Hi and thank you for the reply.

<snip>
All of the files that are unable to be scanned are from the same program “K-Lite Codec Pack Standard”. I have scanned 2 copies each from different Web sites – both have the following:

"Some files could not be scanned" - "Show Results" shows about 60 files all relating to "K-Lite_Codec_Pack_640_Standard.exe" - all have same error message "error: archive is password protected (5-digit number)”

You're welcome.

Yes that is just appears to be software protection in this case.

They aren't 'errors' just notification of files that can't be scanned and why, many other security applications don't even tell you about them.

Thanks again!
Tanya

That's correct, the process of installing the codec, would unpack any archives as it has the embedded password to do it and avast's resident on-access scanner would be scanning newly created files (those unpacked during the installation process) before they are able to be run.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YXtanyaXY

Hello,
I want to thank everyone for the information, help, and expertise. I greatly appreciate it! The file was fine.
Many thanks
Sincerely
Tanya
P.S. - I hope I can find the FAQ to apply "resolved" to this post - but if not, maybe someone can point it out

Gargamel360

P.S. - I hope I can find the FAQ to apply "resolved" to this post - but if not, maybe someone can point it out

edit/modify the subject of your first post of this thread.

YXtanyaXY

edit/modify the subject of your first post of this thread.

I do not find the word "resolved" do I write it in? "[Resolved]"
Thanks

Gargamel360

Yes, that is the right idea, tag it at the end of original subject from first post. :)

YXtanyaXY

Yes, that is the right idea, tag it at the end of original subject from first post. :)

Thanks again - problem:
The subject is too long:
I can only add 3 characters:
[Re

[Re"Some files could not be scanned - error: archive is password protected (##)"

What do you suggest?
Thanks
 ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Files could not be scanned - archive password protected [Resolved]
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »
Shorten the topic title to only the essentials, e.g.  Files could not be scanned - archive password protected [Resolved].

What I have done in this posts title, only you can modify the original title.

YXtanyaXY

Re: Files could not be scanned - archive password protected [Resolved]
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »
Shorten the topic title to only the essentials, e.g.  Files could not be scanned - archive password protected [Resolved].

What I have done in this posts title, only you can modify the original title.

Thank you very much!
Tanya
 :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Files could not be scanned - archive password protected [Resolved]
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 07:44:52 PM »
You're welcome.