Author Topic: ISP Repeatedly Scanning my Ports..  (Read 10313 times)

RedSector

Re:ISP Repeatedly Scanning my Ports..
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 07:08:58 AM »
One feature of Sygate that is not published is the ability to stop all active responses from your computer......which effectively makes it "dead" to the scanning computer.

Open up the Sygate Security log, highlight the traffic line and right click.  Choose Stop active responses.

The scans should stop for the session.

I have the same trouble with ATT.

Good luck

"Active Response Protection—Active response is a feature that automatically blocks all communication from a source host once an attack has been detected. For example, if the Personal Firewall detects a DoS attack originating from a certain IP address, the Personal Firewall will automatically block any and all traffic from that IP for the duration specified in the seconds field. The user can now stop a current active response session."
- From the Sygate help file

Setting "Stop Active Responses" makes it so sygate no longer blocks traffic from that ip
You are doing it backward

Offline DavidR

• Avast Ăśberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 12:40:58 PM »
Scans have totally stopped (for 2 days). This is a little weird, one day of constant port scans then nothing..?

This would tend to confirm that it was not your ISP but some attempt by a port scanning bot trying to find computers that are responding to queries (pings etc.), once any port on your computer answers an inbound request, this is likely to lead to further attempts during that connection period.

With a dynamic IP address the next time you connect the process of finding you again would be lessened. But the poor hick that gets the randomly assigned IP address that was port scanned (your previously assigned IP) could be in for a surprise if he isn't protected by a firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2004, 03:08:00 PM »
Does anybody knows how to set Outpost to behave with an 'Active Response Protection'?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 03:19:54 PM »
I found it myself  8)
Glad to be protected  ;D
The best things in life are free.