Author Topic: No real option other than Abort with Web Shield > Actions (Avast! Free)  (Read 6153 times)

gdv

Hello all,

I'm perplexed by the supposed "Ask" option under Web Shield > Actions in Avast Free v5.0.677.  With that setting, when I attempt to download a file that Avast! flags as a threat (e.g., a false positive NirSoft NirLauncher Package), an Avast! warning pops up with the only option being to Abort the connection.  Whether I click OK or click the X to close the popup, the connection is aborted, and I have to disable the Web Shield to download the file.

I don't consider it "Asking" unless I have some choices when asked (e.g., "Do nothing"), as are presented as they were in Avast! 4, and as they are in the Avast! 5 File System Shield.

I'm assuming this is a GUI glitch that needs to be addressed, but wondering if anyone else knows about a setting or workaround that I haven't yet found.

Thanks! :)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: No real option other than Abort with Web Shield > Actions (Avast! Free)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:20:10 AM »
Yes it's pointless having ask there as it really only does one thing and that is to abort. If you sure that your file is safe then you can submit to avast for them to look at and hopefully correct.

gdv

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:59:43 AM »
If you sure that your file is safe then you can submit to avast for them to look at and hopefully correct.
Yes, thanks, but I'm not really trying to address the false positive issue.  NirSoft utilities are frequently flagged as malware by numerous AV products (I think because of the nature of some of the password utilities, which perhaps qualify as PUPs, and which I've never even needed), but I was just trying to download the whole utility package and it was the first time since I upgraded from Avast! 4 to Avast! 5 to have a download flagged.

My real concern is that there no true "Ask" option and once the warning pops up, any action that will close the popup aborts the connection.  So it is essentially a forced Abort.  ::)

gdv

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:33:53 AM »
Inasmuch as this appears to be a programming oversight (i.e., Web Shield "Ask" should actually present Action options to user, similar to File System Shield, instead of only allowing user to "Abort connection"), is there somewhere I can/should report it to Avast! developers?

...or do the developers follow the forums closely enough that it is sufficient to have reported it here?

I wasn't able to locate a bug reporting option... ...although knowing me, it's probably staring me right in the face here somewhere and I'm just not seeing it. ::) ;)

...is it appropriate to submit it as a ticket to technical support?

Let me see... ...how many other ways can I ask this question? ::) ;)

Le Boule

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 02:26:47 AM »
When you are about to download "NirSoft NirLauncher Package" can you right click the Avast icon in the tray, open the Avast interface and follow the prompts and temporarily disable web shield and/or any other shields that might interfere with the download?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:28:20 AM by Le Boule »

gdv

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 06:04:20 AM »
When you are about to download "NirSoft NirLauncher Package" can you right click the Avast icon in the tray, open the Avast interface and follow the prompts and temporarily disable web shield and/or any other shields that might interfere with the download?
Yes, thanks, I'm able to do it that way.  But unlike v4.8, v5 only has system tray options that apply to all Shields at once (Disable for 10 minutes/1 hour/until computer is restarted/permanently).

It is more of a hassle, but safer to open the Avast! User Interface and navigate to Web Shield under Real Time Shields, where there is Stop button with the same options, but which will stop only the Web Shield instead of all Shields.  So yes, I downloaded the NirLauncher Package by stopping just the Web Shield that way for 10 minutes.

But I already knew the workarounds.  I'm just wanting to report the programming oversite of not having any options presented when the Web Shield is set to "Ask."  And I want to know if reporting it here in the forum is sufficient to bring it to the attention of the developers, or if there is some other means to do that.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 07:26:32 AM »

Just for information, you can open the avast UI, go to the Web Shield, and stop the Web Shield by itself. Don't forget to restart it later!

gdv

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »
Just for information, you can open the avast UI, go to the Web Shield, and stop the Web Shield by itself. Don't forget to restart it later!
...Ummm, thanks, but I think I said that :) :
It is more of a hassle, but safer to open the Avast! User Interface and navigate to Web Shield under Real Time Shields, where there is Stop button with the same options, but which will stop only the Web Shield instead of all Shields.

As previously stated, I already knew the workarounds, even before I first posted...

At this point, I would just like to be sure this programming oversight (re the "Ask" functionality in the Web Shield) gets called to the attention of the Avast! developers, so it can be corrected in a future version.

So would someone in the know (e.g., an old timer or a moderator) please answer the question I'm now asking for the third time:

Where do I need to report this programming oversight in order to get it to the Avast! developers?  Do the developers follow this forum closely enough that it is sufficient to have already reported it here in the forum?  ...Is there some other established procedure for submitting bugs, etc. that I haven't yet been able to locate?

Would someone please let me know so I can clear the issue off my ToDo list and move on?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 11:10:30 PM »
you have this ( New features for the next major avast! release [WISHLIST]  ) http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12640.0

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 11:15:31 PM »
Here is where you can submit a ticket. http://support.avast.com/

gdv

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 12:33:04 AM »
you have this ( New features for the next major avast! release [WISHLIST]  ) http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12640.0
Thanks, Pondus, but it's not really a new feature so much as an existing feature that doesn't work.  ...so I guess I could post it there, but... ???

Here is where you can submit a ticket. http://support.avast.com/
This seems like a better route, as far as I can tell, although I had considered it before and sort of thought Tickets were more for requesting help with a problem.  At any rate, unless someone suggests a better route in the next few hours before I can get to it, I'll go ahead and submit a report via Ticket.

Thanks all! :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:34:55 AM by gdv »