Author Topic: Self defense module  (Read 8937 times)

Offline RedFan

Self defense module
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:47:58 AM »
Hi guys
I have an issue/problem with self defense when doing a system restore om my computer, 99% it fails _ my computer dont start windows _ not even in safe mode no acces to start windows... all i have is a black screen!  :-\
2 times i have to reinstall my windows to get my computer workin again  >:( (many hours of work!)
Is there any solution for my problem ? Would it be safe turning off self defense ?
Intel® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Self defense module
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 10:54:22 AM »
I've read of a few users of Windows7 having this problem, on this forum, so it would seem you are not alone.
I don't know for sure if it's a workaround, but there is no reason not to temporarily disable the self defense module while doing a restore.

That aside, system restore is not a particularly sophisticated nor reliable tool; it would be preferable to be makign backups of your data and files periodically. There is also a registry backup program called ERUNT. Get it here. Read the FAQ's regarding known Windows 7 issues.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »
yeah there's a bad issue with this. So if you still have the choice, i.e. you can still access Windows (as opposed to using sys restore from a repair DVD), you're better off deactivating the self-defense module before using a restore point.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
...but there is no reason not to temporarily disable the self defense module while doing a restore.

Be sure you are disconnected...!!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RedFan

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
yeah there's a bad issue with this. So if you still have the choice, i.e. you can still access Windows (as opposed to using sys restore from a repair DVD), you're better off deactivating the self-defense module before using a restore point.
I have an image of my C drive on a external HD to restore my system, but once it happens that i could no acces with any disk, because of MBR was missing & only with vista dvd repair (factory defaults) was succesfull to start again.
then i must upgrade to win7 _ install my back-up program paragon backup & recovery _ and restore my C drive with an image. also have a boot  disk from paragon to restore an image, but not always working well.
would it not be safe to turn off self-defense, are you not protected against virus/malware ? i dont remembering avast 4.8 having self-defense ... or how is self-defense working?
Intel® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »
okay this is just to mention that following an issue with a program, I had to use sys restore (on W7/64) a few minutes ago, disabled the self-protection module first, didn't need to go into safe mode, and it completed successfully.

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:45:45 PM »
RedFan
What did you use for backup. I use Acronis True image. With that you can create a bootable CD. I think it runs Linux in a Ram Disk and you can run everything there and access external HD. That's how I make my backup image also. If you happen to have a Western Digital HD there is a free edition of Acronis that only works with WD drives.
Joe

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »
would it not be safe to turn off self-defense, are you not protected against virus/malware ? i dont remembering avast 4.8 having self-defense ... or how is self-defense working?
In general terms, it's best left on, but the risk factor in temporarily disabling it probably aren't that high, in the circumstances you are talking about.

The AV still works; if it happens to encounter a malware that is sophisticated enough to disable the AV (and there are quite a few of these around) having the self defense active might help prevent that.

The risk in your specific situation is that there is a malware in the restore point you've chosen that will activate and that has this capability. I would think that would be a remote risk, indeed.

4.8 had self defense, also.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline RedFan

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »
To be honest, i've been using another AV since two weeks because i was scared to have this problem again.
i hope avast will work on this issue and solve this problem with self-defense on win 7/x64 & system restore
its a very annoying issue, for example if you forget to turn off self-defense on sys restore ... big trouble for me  :(
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 05:33:03 PM by RedFan »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 09:56:08 PM »
To be honest, i've been using another AV since two weeks
Edit your signature then :)
By the way, which one did you pick?
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »
I do not use Security Essentials on my Win7/x64 bit system as it will cause problems that is if it is Microsoft Security Essentials.

I keep Windows Defender updated though.

Offline RedFan

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 11:16:58 PM »
Yes Microsoft Security Essentials, is the only AV on my PC for the moment, avast is uninstalled.
always loved avast (using avast for 3 years) but with this issue its very annoying, maybe later ill return to avast.