Author Topic: FP - SDFix.exe  (Read 12953 times)

mohan

FP - SDFix.exe
« on: September 07, 2010, 12:29:16 AM »
Please download SDFix.exe from http://downloads.andymanchesta.com/RemovalTools/SDFix_ReadMe.htm. its marked as Win32-Shutdowner-CD[PUP]

SDFix\apps\RestartIt!.exe|>[UPX] [L] Win32:Shutdowner-CD [PUP] (0)
File was successfully moved to chest...

Regards
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:54:44 AM by mohan »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: FP - SDFix.exe
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 01:23:07 AM »
You could have kept this with your other topic as it is basically the same.

As I said there:
Clearly not a false positive as it can a) restart your system and b) it is flagged as a PUP Potentially Unwanted Program. The restart function in the hands of a malicious attack would be one use of the tool, but in the case of SDfix would be if it is required to restart the system to remove in use malware, etc.

So you could chose not to do anything (block) since you downloaded it. It would of course be detected next time round, so you would have to exclude it from scan if you wish to keep it.

However, there is little benefit in keeping this tool lying around if you have used it, these types of tools should be downloaded before they are used (that way you have the latest version) if you suspect you have the infection it deals with.

Another point you are doing a custom scan as PUPs aren't scanned for by default.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:29:01 AM »
Hi mohan.

Well there is even more to add. Not for nothing it is advised before you run mentioned tool to turn off / disable your av scanner (because it could detect as possibly unwanted program in the case you did not willfully install it yourself), same goes for the other finds you mentioned in separate threads,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

mohan

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:07:54 AM »
---double posting - sorry.

Thanks David, I guess my problem stems my issue with the Ask and Chest options not working the way ideally I would understand them to work as
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59281.msg537597#msg537597, I'll lock this topic down.

Thanks polonus for your response.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
No problem, I have given a bit of information on how there are differences on the on-access and on-demand processing of detections in your other topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
SDFix and Smitfraud fix have not been updated for several years now.  So they are no longer effective

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »
Hi essexboy,

So they are better being abandoned, as I take it correct, good thanks for that info,

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »
They have a very limited effectiveness now as malware has progressed

hstpctech

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 04:53:27 AM »
If sdfix.exe is outdated and ineffective, is there something I can revert to? And also the link to sdfix.exe is a 404; the file is no longer available. I got it from megaupload, but was flagged with appl/prcview.e by Avira. In the meantime, there's still an undetected virus on my PC.