Author Topic: AVG 2011 Bug Affects Browsing Experience, Could Also Hurt Websites  (Read 12670 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
A serious bug in a component of the new AVG 2011 anti-malware products causes computers to flood websites with unnecessary HTTP requests and in many cases prevents users from properly using their browsers.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/AVG-2011-Bug-Affects-Browsing-Experience-Could-Also-Hurt-Websites-160515.shtml

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVG 2011 Bug Affects Browsing Experience, Could Also Hurt Websites
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:10:27 PM »
Sounds exactly like what they did before with an earlier version which introduced live link checking of all links in a page. That by all accounts had them leaving AVG in droves as it not only flooded web sites, but it also slowed browsing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
You would have though that they would have learnt that lesson, obviously not ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 10:00:23 PM »
AVG is doing MANY things which a newbie does, Releasing low quality products, low detection rate (many times they flaged Fake AV setups as clean in response to submission), doing dirty marketing like Saying being Performance and Customer number leader in their website (which for Customer I think avast is leader for now and for performance ESET, Avira and avast! are top 3 I think?). so why should someone trust such a dirty and low-quality company to let them take care of their computer? ;)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:44:49 PM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Mr.Agent

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:36:25 PM »
I would trust more avast! than AVG i got plenty reason for it. As i dont even know who own AVG (picture of their team) but avast! does have one and its an awesome team !!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know but avast! know how to chill, satisfate and talk with the customer very nicely like a business man/girl im very impressioned of somes blogs that i did see by you guys/girls that you did like your software for search virus "ashServer" with the blue screen its really nice. I think AVG earn money because they target mostly the people from his Advertising, Marketing which force the user to say its look good but in a sense i can just go now and find a website that is infected without AVG known it. I dont know if they know that a website can be hacked and no only the site that got virus but the legit also can be hacked....

AVG did target alot by all that and when i ask a customer that i think doesnt have knowledge (experience) he respond me "AVG is good its really great". I just want to say him "Are you really sure ?". Also another way is that they say "My friend did install it to me he is good in computer" here a good one for you guys/girls. If he did install you an anti virus its doesnt mean that he is a pro/expert to know really if he is just ask him "AVG is good in exploit detection ?". Now if he say yes then you just got owned by him and AVG. I cant tell u that i did see that AVG missed many exploit that i see from virustotal in the internet just by my eyes on virustotal.com i can see it. Also the numbers of exploits that the sites worldwide can have got a big result and its really dangerous to get attacked by this.

I think they mostly target child,teen,family or old parents that has no idea of the efficacity of AVG they just say "Its free nice !". But before they should download it they need to see are they really a real AV or no ? How can i trust this product if i dont see their team picture ? Does they can afford me a good support ?

Mr.Agent

PS : Peoples also download AVG because there alot download of AVG in CNET. So like now i said ads and marketing is in cause of this and doesnt mean that he is good.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:46:04 PM by Mr.Agent »

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 11:53:46 PM »
AVG did target alot by all that and when i ask a customer that i think doesnt have knowledge (experience) he respond me "AVG is good its really great". I just want to say him "Are you really sure ?". Also another way is that they say "My friend did install it to me he is good in computer" here a good one for you guys/girls. If he did install you an anti virus its doesnt mean that he is a pro/expert to know really if he is just ask him "AVG is good in exploit detection ?".

Exactly! Exactly! Exactly!

My best friend use AVG because his son installed AVG for him, for 2 years he said his computer is almost one of the safest computers around the world because he use his computer only for 3-4 sites and his job (tax accountant). it took 2 years that I force him use avast instead of AVG.

one day he told me that his computer is almost stopping working and after I asked him to send me a hijackthis log I saw AVG + Live OneCare (Expired) and some remant of McAfee is running in his computer plus a few spyware. ok! now you can see what an expert recommend AVG! that **** *** that installed AVG in this computer even did not know that he should uninstall Live OneCare before? or cleanup McAfee? and also indeed you are seeing his father is not a computer expert and only use AVG because another person installed and said it's good
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 03:05:56 AM »
I'm trying out AVG 2011 Free with SafeSurf disabled as recommended by AVG forum.

A fix is due out soon.

I wouldn't give AVG a thought if it wasn't for AVG having a 64bit version of their free anti-virus.

I have a 64bit OS (Windows 7) so I want to use 64bit programs.

I hope when avast! 5.1 comes out with boot time scanner for 64bit systems there will be 64bit

and 32bit versions of avast! 5.1.

I still have avast! 5 on my XP computer. :)

ImWarm

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 06:07:14 AM »
AVG free does not have antirootkit, it's a shame because lots of people use it and think they're covered.

osants911

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 06:28:45 AM »
@ImWarm

AVG free does not have antirootkit, it's a shame because lots of people use it and think they're covered.

By the way, they added anti-rootkit in their free product....

http://free.avg.com/au-en/product-comparison

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 06:47:42 AM »
A lot of people still use AVG because they've been doing so for years. It used to be a good free alternative to the paid AV's but never was up to snuff with Norton. These days there are other free products that are all better like Avast! Avira, and MSE. I personally think AVG is trying to live on past laurels but things like this are killing them.

osants911

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 07:15:41 AM »
A lot of people still use AVG because they've been doing so for years. It used to be a good free alternative to the paid AV's but never was up to snuff with Norton. These days there are other free products that are all better like Avast! Avira, and MSE. I personally think AVG is trying to live on past laurels but things like this are killing them.

+1

Totally agree with you Dch48.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »

I think AVG is getting better.

Worth a view:
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/rap-index.xml

What surprises me:
1. AVG is better than avast both on proactive and reactive detections.
2. ESET is very very good. Kaspersky is very good.
3. Avira pro has poorer reactive detection than Avira free?
4. Symantec and McAfee products are very very weak compared to free ones...
5. Comodo has a way long to improve.

I'm just trying AVG 2011 Free Edition for it's 64bit version.

Almost surely I'll return to avast!, especially if 5.1 has a 64bit version. ;)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 08:23:25 PM »
That only words and i did find avast! to find mores samples seriously.