Author Topic: Avast stopped auto updating  (Read 9899 times)

Nikilet

Avast stopped auto updating
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »
Dell XPS410
Vista Home Premium SP2 - 32 Bit
320 GB HD
2GB RAM
IE8
Avast Antivirus Pro 5
PC Tools Spyware Doctor
Windows Firewall

I've been using Avast Antivirus Pro 5 for a little over a month. Usually the first thing I hear and see after my computer completes loading my desktop is the pop up and voice telling me the update has been completed. Now I get the red sign telling me it couldn't be completed. I can update it manually, but I want the auto update to work.

The only thing I've done in the past several days to change anything is to install Incredimail email program. I doubt that would have anything to do with this, so am wondering if an Avast update caused this problem.

I have attached a screen shot of the pop up I refer to above.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast stopped auto updating
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »
Please, upload (attach) the avast log: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log
(or the shorter C:\Users\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Setup.log).

If the file is too big for the forum, post the last 400-500 lines of it.
The best things in life are free.

Nikilet

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 01:45:11 AM »
No file under Settings called setup.log. There is a file called setup which is a text document. Would that be it? There is another called setup which is configuration settings. If I attach by sending to a zip file first will that work on the text document?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 02:49:59 AM »
No file under Settings called setup.log.
Settings? ??? It's not a folder called "Settings"...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 02:56:08 AM »
Looks like you have the windows explorer (tools, Options, View tab)  default setting 'Hide extensions for known file types' (perhaps the worst default option), unfortunately this is of no help when the user doesn't know what the file type is (see image and set the options accordingly).

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Philo

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 03:14:16 AM »
@David:
I've been having this same problem for the last couple weeks, along with others. Been checking the forums multiple times a day and still no real resolution to the issue. Only thing I can say is change to "No proxy" in the update settings and do a force/manual update when it doesn't go through. Hopefully a definitive answer will crop up soon...

Philo

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 03:16:41 AM »
Sorry, should have been to Nikilet, not David.  ::)

Nikilet

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 03:51:34 AM »
Tech: I know it's not a folder called Settings. Following your path: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\setup.log

there is no setup.log inside that Setup folder.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 03:55:57 AM »
Strange...
And what about here? C:\Users\All Users\Alwil Software\Avast5\log\Setup.log

Nikilet

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 04:33:57 AM »
I changed my View/Folder Options so now the setup.log appears in the path you gave previously. But I don't know how I'm going to send it to you. I removed all but the last 5 days and it's still too big. And when that happens even my post doesn't go through.

I was always opening the log file after a scan and it was always clear so I quit doing that, assuming that if there was something found in a scan Avast would probably alert me. I see that isn't so. I noticed today that ever since 10-11 Avast has been finding a BUNCH of infected files thru the scanning process, which all seem to be Windows Temp files. None of them got moved to the chest because I didn't realize they were there, and "Apply" at the bottom was never selected.

Avast always tells me after a scan that it is complete and it sure seems funny to me that it wouldn't find some way of telling you that threats were found. I know now, so I will be checking. I am attaching a screen shot of the scan log results. I have a feeling these aren't too worrisome but could you tell me what to do with these?

I also have a feeling this might all be caused by runnng PC Tools Spyware Doctor alongside Avast. I know many people who run these two programs together, but maybe it's just not working for me. I am going back to running Spyware Doctor as an on demand spyware scanner and have disabled all of the protection modules.

Let me know what to do about getting this log to you please.

Nikilet

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 04:37:33 AM »
It doesn't look to me like even my snapshot of the scan results window came through so I am going to try sending it again!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 04:42:40 AM »
If you pruned out all but the last day if that has about 400 lines that should be small enough to attach.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Nikilet

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 05:16:13 AM »
I will try it with all but the last two days deleted. According to properties it should go through.

I have it selected under Additional Optoiins to notify me of replies but I'm not getting any notifications. I just keep coming back and checking. Is there something else I need to do?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 04:29:58 PM »
Tech will have a look at the setup.log, it is him who asked for it.

I don't use the notify me function, but the 'Show new replies to your posts' link at the top of the page, but I'm a regular visitor so that is fine for me. Having selected the Notify option though it should send an email to the email address you used when you registered for the forums.

So I would suggest that you check if your email server/ISP doesn't use an anti-spam which could be intercepting the emails.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »
Code: [Select]
10:37:25 min/pkg  ERROR PerformPkgDiff: DSA_FileVerify(C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Setup\vps_32-2f8.vpx) failed, error 0x2000000B
10:37:25 min/gen  Error:Invalid file signature. Setup will terminate.
Something is corrupting your update?
Any Internet filter? Other security application? Hard disk errors?

I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.