Author Topic: Avast stopped auto updating  (Read 9922 times)

Nikilet

Re: Avast stopped auto updating
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »
Since I disabled Spyware Doctor's protection modules and shut it down, Avast update is working again.

You didn't comment on all those infections found by Avast that were all Windows temp files. In the full scan yesterday Avast found only one of those. But still, what is this? I am going to wait for the uninstall and reinstall you recommended until after today's scan. Then if I'm still getting these items I'll try that first.

I did a quick scan yesterday with SUPERAntiSpyware (Free) and there were over 500 items found. Normally my spyware scans either come out clean or with just a few items. Then when my Registry Mechanic performed it's scheduled daily scan last evening it found 519 items to fix. There just seems to be something funny going on here.

I did a quick scan yesterday with Malwarebytes and nothing was found there.

Isn't Avast supposed to protect against spyware? If so, is there some setting I need to change or something, because much as I love this program, it doesn't appear to be doing a very good job against spyware. (Mostly tracking cookies I think.)

This morning I did a full scan with SUPERAntispyware and it found 22 items. Even this is way more than I usually get on a spyware scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »
Spyware Doctor, Registry Mechanic and avast are redundant and could conflict.
Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUpCCleaner or a deep one called Temp File Cleaner for that.
The best things in life are free.

Nikilet

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
From now on I will only run Spyware Doctor on demand and when I do open to run it all protection modules will be disabled. I don't have Registry Mechanic run either. I use it only to scan registry and then it is shut down.

I already have CCleaner and I usually run it every day. It apparently did not remove the one infected file that Avast found yesterday. The file is under C/Windows/Temp. The actual name of the file is TMP3615.tmp. I just deleted the file from that Winows/Temp folder. So I really don't understand why Avast couldn't do anything with it and tells me access is denied.

Avast just finished running and it again picked up this file: Win32:Enistery [Susp]. I tried to move it to the chest and attached is snapshot of what happened.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 11:01:14 PM »
From now on I will only run Spyware Doctor on demand and when I do open to run it all protection modules will be disabled. I don't have Registry Mechanic run either. I use it only to scan registry and then it is shut down.
Sometimes, sometimes, disabling is not enough. I can't be sure in your case. If other strange detections appear, well, disable was not enough.

So I really don't understand why Avast couldn't do anything with it and tells me access is denied.
Maybe the file is in use and due to this, access is denied.
Run an avast boot time scanning.

Avast just finished running and it again picked up this file: Win32:Enistery [Susp]. I tried to move it to the chest and attached is snapshot of what happened.
Idem.

Nikilet

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »
You answered one item with "Idem." and I have no idea what that means.

I re-opened Avast log and selected to delete and this time it did delete the item.

I want some clarification if I should decided to un-/reinstall.

Are you saying first use normal method to uninstall and reboot.
Then use the special removal tool and reboot again?

On the page where I downloaded that removal tool it said to use it in safe mode. You indicate safe mode only if regular mode doesn't work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 11:56:42 PM »
You answered one item with "Idem." and I have no idea what that means.
Idem = ibidem = the same as before (the previous answer).

Are you saying first use normal method to uninstall and reboot.
Then use the special removal tool and reboot again?
Yes.

On the page where I downloaded that removal tool it said to use it in safe mode. You indicate safe mode only if regular mode doesn't work.
I'm sure about my instructions :)

Nikilet

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »
Thank you for helping.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 12:40:39 AM »
You're welcome.