Author Topic: Scan Threat  (Read 46759 times)

AKatRT

Re: Scan Threat
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2010, 01:52:37 PM »
Thanks. Will do that.

AKatRT

« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
Avoided the restore point option and did start-up repair and windows memory check. The problems with backing-up persist. Anything else we can try you think?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2010, 03:45:24 PM »
The only thing I can think of at this stage would be a repair install - but that requires the discs

AKatRT

« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2010, 04:07:36 PM »
I have the discs. But how would that work then? Would we identify the 'broken' files upfront (through the logs) and then specifically repair those or would it involve some general operation? Thus far I have been trying to avoid going back to the ortiginal set-up and lose all the subsequent history and settings. But again, I have a set of initial system copy discs. And I have made bi-weekly copies (until the virus broke) of the created data as well. Thanks. 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
Ah so you have a recent image that you could restore - prior to the attack that is

AKatRT

« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
Well now, let me make sure I understand. When I bought the laptop, Windows Vista was installed and the purchaser is urged to make a copy of the (virgin) system - I did that. Then, over time, I make weekly / bi-weekly back-ups through the Windows back-up system. But I only keep the latest back-up of course. Now, as I understand it, these latter back-ups copy the data that I have generated, but not the core system - but what do i know..... In any event, i have both. And I must admit that an amateur like me can only guess about that last back-up being before the attack and no virus being present. But I can perhaps do a virus check of the data on the disc pior to using the disc? Have to travel for some three hours now - just letting you know so you don't think i'm not engaged in resolving this. As I said before, busy life with lots of travel. Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »
Timing is not a problem as real life rules

Reading that an option would be to install the virgin system and then restore the last backup

AKatRT

« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
Ok, sounds scary though, not possible to identify the back-up 'program file' from the virgin disc and just select and install that? Don't mean to be difficult but I remain worried settings and history will get lost in the shuffle of a complete install. Thanks.   

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2010, 06:36:43 PM »
I will check it out to confirm some data

AKatRT

« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2010, 12:16:31 PM »
How lack of bravery can motivate. I went to F8 start-up again and ran all the options that did not involve a complete reinstall or a prior restore point. Not sure what it all did and I also repeated the actions  in your Nov 20 11:26 post. Behold, I ran a complete back-up just now and my IE appears in reasonably good health as well. So thank you once again!

Barely dare say it, but can I try and run again for a couple of days and let you know what the state of health is please?

Also, can I just ask you again please, do you believe I should stick with spyware terminator and have it clean what it reported, or do you suggest we leave things now for what they are. You were suspicious about how real the so called problems were that it supposedly found. I don't have to purchase the software in order to do the cleaning.

Thanks again!!!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2010, 01:29:31 PM »
All the files that spyware terminator found were legitimate - I would bin it.  Use MBAM it is free- good and leader of the pack at the moment

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here.

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

AKatRT

« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2010, 01:48:56 PM »
OK, thanks. Had already installed MBAM based on your earlier recommendation and will continue to use. Will delete spyware terminator.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »
'Tis best I feel  ;D

AKatRT

« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
Grateful you stuck with all these problems. Essex rocks as far as I'm concerned!

AKatRT

« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2010, 01:38:07 PM »
I owed you a final report. Everything OK. IE remains somewhat unstable at times, closes by itself etc, but I can live with that. So we're fine and we remain grateful for the great support. 

I had one last question, that temp file cleaner we used, TFC by Oldtimer, can it still be downloaded from  geekstogo? I'm not able to - the earlier page link provided by Pondus appears closed and I looked for it elsewhere in geekstogo but without success. Thought it may usefull to run that every now and then or have access to it in case of a future mishap.

Many thanks for everything.