Author Topic: Scan Threat  (Read 46767 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Scan Threat
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »
Ok go to programmes and features and uninstall windows remote management
This can be done after combofix

AKatRT

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 12:42:17 AM »
Log attached. Am missing most icons in system tray at lower right - not sure what that means. Will try to do the remote mgmt now. During Combofix got error message: "PEV.cfxxe Corrupt File . The file directory C: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility".

AKatRT

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »
Log attached. Am missing most icons in system tray at lower right - not sure what that means. Will try to do the remote mgmt now. During Combofix got error message: "PEV.cfxxe Corrupt File . The file directory C: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility".

AKatRT

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 01:16:38 AM »
Log attached. Am missing most icons in system tray at lower right - not sure what that means. During Combofix got error message: "PEV.cfxxe Corrupt File . The file directory C: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility".
Windows remote management was not listed as an installed program and so I did not uninstall.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 02:21:22 AM »
What's with all the duplicate posts and attached combofix logs. If it is trying to bump the topic, essexboy, being in the UK, (after 1:15am here) will be in bed.

Have you tried what was suggested and run the chkdsk utility ?
I don't know if this is a function that can be called from combofix or if it has to be run from a windows command window (cmd).

If it requires essexboy's input he won't be back until tomorrow.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 01:24:26 PM »
OK the log does not look to bad - could you check that the tray icons are not just hidden

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter, when installed select boot defrag with check disc.  Once completed let me know of any remaining problems

AKatRT

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »
All the duplicate messages were as a result of it initially not showing that the posts had been sent - it appeared the page would close right before the posts were sent. Then, later, all of a sudden they appeared. May be a problem at my end. No idea. But I didn't do it out of boredom (at time of night). Any event, then had to work today and just able to get back to machine. 

AKatRT

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 01:56:08 PM »
I must appear retarded essexboy, but please, how do I know if they are hidden or how do I 'unhide' them? I have no clue.

I will get on with the other things you suggested now. Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
Right click the taskbar and select properties.  The first screenshot will appear, select customise 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 02:20:03 PM »
Then you will see this screen, this is where you show or hide icons

AKatRT

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
OK, looks like you have been able to do the unthinkable, I'm up and running and no more error messages from Visual. The icons came back after the defrag thing. I thank you! I'm left with two questions please:

1. Will I still see the problems in the temp files when I do an Avast scan you think? And if I do, and Avast can't move or repair, should I worry?

2. At one time, on Pondus' advise, we ran Superantispyware. When I try to remove that program (via windows control panel) I first get a message whether I also want to remove logs and quarantined items - if I say 'yes' to that the entire screen goes weird and feezes up and I have to force a shut down. What best to do with that? Leave it alone?

Thanks again essexboy!

Andre' 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 04:42:49 PM »
Reference Superantispyware - use Revo uninstaller on that http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html get the free version

For the temps set IE to clear all temp files on closing:  
Go to internet options > Advanced > security and select clear files on browser closing

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean  :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset  System Restore points:

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
Click Start > Run  and copy/paste the following bolded text into the Run box and click OK:

ComboFix /Uninstall

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button.  It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.  MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove.  But it is a useful tool to keep

We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab.
  • Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application. Beware it is NOT supported for use in 9x or ME and probably will not install in those systems

Upgrading Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)JRE 6 Update 21.
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select your Platform and check the box that says: "I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 License Agreement.".
  • Click on Continue.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation (jre-6u21-windows-i586-p.exe) and save it to your desktop. Do NOT use the Sun Download Manager..
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on the download to install the newest version.(Vista users, right click on the jre-6u21-windows-i586-p.exe and select "Run as an Administrator.")
To manually create a new Restore Point
  • Go to Control Panel and select System and Maintenance
  • Select System
  • On the left select Advance System Settings and accept the warning if you get one
  • Select System Protection Tab
  • Select Create at the bottom
  • Type in a name i.e. Clean
  • Select Create
Now we can purge the infected ones
  • Go back to the System and Maintenance page
  • Select Performance Information and Tools
  • On the left select Open Disk Cleanup
  • Select Files from all users and accept the warning if you get one
  • In the drop down box select your main drive i.e. C
  • For a few moments the system will make some calculations
  • Select the More Options tab
  • In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
  • Select Delete on the pop up
  • Select OK
  • Select Delete
You are now done

SPRING CLEAN

Download and run Puran Disc Defragmenter

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes: It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide  How did I get infected in the first place ?
Keep safe  :wave:

AKatRT

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »
Thank you for all this. I'll get to that cleaning assignment this evening. Many, many thanks. I assume that with regard your last comment / recommendation on additional installations, I keep Avast as well.....considering your pedigree I'm assuming that; but if wrong, please drop me a line still. Owe you big time.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »
Absolutely - been using Avast now for donkeys years with nary an infection  ;D

AKatRT

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 05:23:04 PM »