Author Topic: Scan Threat  (Read 46912 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Scan Threat
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »
There are several other free AV programmes - but I would not recommend AVG as it is a bit iffy in my experience

AKatRT

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 09:49:25 PM »
Struggling to find my way with the following instruction:
We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that

•Click Start.
•Open My Computer.
•Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
•Select the View Tab.
•Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.

•Click Yes to confirm.
•Click OK.

After I click start I see 'computer' in the panel which lists the drives but I don't see the follow-on steps you mention. Help?

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »
Alternative method - go to control panel > folder options then follow the rest :

•Select the View Tab.
•Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.

•Click Yes to confirm.
•Click OK.

AKatRT

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »
Major problem when I did the Java correction thing. Download froze up, machine froze up. Internet connection gone. Had to restart and restore to previous point. Restore point was earlier step with revo uninstaller. Have internet back. But back to square one on the icons notification area. Power icon is greyed-out in the pop-up box and cannot be checked. Not visble either. Scare of my life. What to do to get a stable status going again please. Will leave the 'last steps' cleaning till later but would like to have that stable status. Can you help me with this please. Thanks.

AKatRT

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 11:38:37 PM »
Did a Java download of the latest version, simple button at the java download website, rebooted, and the power icon is back. But nervousness around what happened earlier remains. Gonna crash now, but would appreciate you giving it some thought please. Thanks. 

AKatRT

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 10:52:27 AM »
Hah, I have repeated the entire process of cleaning you recommended once more (considering the restore point). Except for the Java thing of course. All appears to be ok. The java website under help has an action "uninstall older versions" but they they also note there may be dependencies with the older versions for certain components. Sounds scary to me. I have left it alone. I now have the latest java version installed (version 6, update 22). What do you think? Thanks. 

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 12:24:26 PM »
That is a problem I come across with Java sometimes - it seems to throw a wobbly for no apparent reason.  Hence I no longer have Java on my system

But leave as is, if you are feeling brave then you could try Javara  http://raproducts.org/wordpress/ to remove the old java

So how are things now ?

AKatRT

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »
Thanks. I don't feel so brave so I prefer the status quo. Let me run it for another day or so and I'd like to get back to you then.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »
 ;D

AKatRT

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »
Nothing urgent, but by the way, that spywareblaster thing I find a bit more complex to set up and understand. Is there a brief guide anywhere available to understand it better? It seems to pre-set what it protects against. What if tomorrow some crazy develops a new virus - how does protection get implemented for that? Find it befuddling.....

AKatRT

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 03:39:26 PM »
Ah, I'm slow but perhaps this is it: I run spywareblaster for ongoing bad ActiveX protection, I run Avast for real-time protection, I run MBAM (at least) once a week to kill spyware. Am I close? This would appear more or less logical to me...... Thanks.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2010, 03:55:44 PM »
That is right  Spyware blaster places a killbit in the registry which will stop known malware activeX files installing.  Avast for front line protection and MBAM weekly as a rearguard action 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »
Besides what essexboy has said - You don't run spywareblaster it is inert, it adds entries into the various browsers it supports, etc to block bad sites and activeX registry killbit, etc.

So all you do is periodically open spywareblaster, check for updates (they aren't very frequent), it downloads the new updates (very quick) and then you apply those new entries and close spywareblaster, job done.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

AKatRT

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 10:32:25 PM »
Thank you Essexboy, thank you David R. All is well and stable (the PC that is). Things run slower than before but I assume that is a result of all the stuff I have running in the background now. I forgot to mention, via Google toolbar I also have Spyware Doctor running. But no more errors or crashes or freezes. Quite a relief! Thanks!

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2010, 10:37:42 PM »
Spyware doctor running with google toolbar will take up some of your resources... Do you need it ? If you run MBAM weekly and keep your webshield up and running you should be relatively safe