Author Topic: Why avast! doesn't contain auto-repairing function?  (Read 3645 times)

12-es_csaj

Why avast! doesn't contain auto-repairing function?
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
Sorry, if somebody has already opened a topic for this.
avast! puts in the chest everything, and it doesn't repair anything.
It would be great if avast! repaired the infected files, such as system files or program's files.
For example, NOD32 repaires the files, and it deletes only if the whole file is malicious.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Why avast! doesn't contain auto-repairing function?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:18:03 PM »
Well, the repair function works just like you said for NOD32. However these days there are hardly any file infectors, the stuff that actually adds code to other programs. There are mostly other forms that are malicious all together. So yeah, in pretty much all cases, avast! will just delete the files. However certain Virut, Sality, Tenga and so on viruses can be repaired. But these are quite rare these days.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

12-es_csaj

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:28:07 PM »
Well, the repair function works just like you said for NOD32. However these days there are hardly any file infectors, the stuff that actually adds code to other programs. There are mostly other forms that are malicious all together. So yeah, in pretty much all cases, avast! will just delete the files. However certain Virut, Sality, Tenga and so on viruses can be repaired. But these are quite rare these days.

But... if we go to the settings of file system shield, we will see that avast! puts the files to chest, and not repair them...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
I think that's more of a fail safe, because not all repairs can be 100% sucessful, so if you have a original, you can always try repairing it manually. Though i agree, Repair should be primary action followed by Move to Chest. There should be a "Backup" section where such files are first copied in their original (but infected) form and then attempt a repair.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
I set Repair before Move to chest. Although I'm quite sure I never get a file repaired in 7 years...
File infections are rare, rarer are the ones which could be repaired (in some executable files).
The best things in life are free.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
yes, if u get a file infector, its best to just reformat in all honesty, wasting resources to create repair routines for something that isnt guaranteed to work is kinda useless IMO

and once a file infector has already screwed with ur system files, repairing it will likely just create a heap of more issues like stability of ur system, and potential room to get infected again more easily, its best to just play it safe and reformat if u have a file infector.
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Dch48

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 01:26:17 AM »
Repairing a file, if it's even possible, usually results in the removal of the malicious payload leaving you with a file that is unusable anyway. I have only had one completely successful repair of an infected download in all my time on line. I'd rather have the file moved to the chest where I can then take whatever action I choose at my leisure. If the file turns out to be a false detection, at least it hasn't been tampered with by an attempted repair and can be restored.