Author Topic: Avast wont let me connect to the internet  (Read 21107 times)

Visseroth

Re: Avast wont let me connect to the internet
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 09:00:20 AM »
and if it was a corrupt winsocket then how come a winsocket reset didn't fix the laptop I'm having problems with? Didn't do a dang bit of good, granted I didn't try that reset before but the one just posted didn't help.

doit1910

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 10:26:50 AM »
Hi to all of you,

I also updateted to Avast 5.0.677. All seemed to be fine. Today I had the same problem described before. Every time I started my Browser (Firefox) I received a question from my Firewall (Sygate) if I would allow Avast! Service (AvastSvc.exe) access to ocsp.godaddy.com.

Every Time I denie that question I couldn´t access the internet. Then when I allow Avast to do so, connection was fine. Perhaps it´s the same on your systems and your firewall remembers a further given answer.

After looking what ocsp.godaddy.com is, it seems to be a kind of SSL Certificate. Does anyone know what´s about?

Thank you for your answers - and don´t look on my bad english!

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:28:28 AM by doit1910 »

SafeSurf

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 10:52:26 AM »
@ Deckard111,

1. Did you install the WinsockFix Utility as requested earlier? http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/

2. Let's check for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·    Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·    Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·    After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·    Under Settings:
o    General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o    Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o    Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·    Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·    The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·    When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·    Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·    Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

In the meantime, keep your Avast definitions up to date and keep your Windows FW on.  Thank you.

Please start a New Topic of your own as this will just confuse the current thread and we will help you there. 

Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the Avast Free/Pro/Suite forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there and mention your system information (OS, 32 or 64-bit, security software - AV, FW, etc.), version and product of Avast.  Also run a Full MBAM scan as mentioned above and put it in your post.  Thank you.

ken7795

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2010, 05:28:53 AM »
The only problem is, there was no program update for Avast!. So your conclusion is at least premature.

Greetz, Red.

I'm not sure what version of Avast you're able to access, but I've been pestered to update to Avast 5.0.677.  Why say something stupid like "no program update?"

Deckard111

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »
@ Deckard111,

1. Did you install the WinsockFix Utility as requested earlier? http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/

2. Let's check for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·    Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·    Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·    After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·    Under Settings:
o    General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o    Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o    Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·    Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·    The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·    When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·    Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·    Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

In the meantime, keep your Avast definitions up to date and keep your Windows FW on.  Thank you.

Please start a New Topic of your own as this will just confuse the current thread and we will help you there. 

Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the Avast Free/Pro/Suite forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there and mention your system information (OS, 32 or 64-bit, security software - AV, FW, etc.), version and product of Avast.  Also run a Full MBAM scan as mentioned above and put it in your post.  Thank you.

I already run MBAM and it found nothing the only fix is to reset the winsock. then it works, iwas in the middle of browsing and all of a sudden after definition update all web traffic blocked... problem is sloved now after reseting winsock values.

SafeSurf

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
@ Deckard111,

I'm glad that your issue is now resolved.  :)  Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.

therobbie1

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 04:57:51 AM »
Hello all,

I was having the same problem as most of you after installing Asvast 5 (couldn't connect; couldn't update; firefox connected to the net while IE wouldn't, blah, blah blah).  I am running Vista 32 SP2, having had at one point or another: Mcafee, Comodo and Zone Alarm and, thanks to alot of you and your advice, I got all the uninstallers I could find to clear up any traces of said former FW's/AV's.  YET STILL, I couldn't connect to the net through IE or update Avast.
Not sure if this will work for you but after having read countless forums and spending 3 DAYS trying to fix this (the Avast AV rating's just couldn't be pasted up-and for free) I found this little , itty bity thing that let Avast connect (at least for me).
Purely by accident I went into: Network and sharing (my LAN settings); clicked on view status then properties and LOW AND BEHOLD, there was an old, old setting for comodo still there from 2 years ago I had no idea was still active.  Soon as I deleted it, Avast worked, updated (quite quickly I might add) the whole bit!
Again, not sure if this will work for any of you but I finally got it going!  THANKS to all of you for the advice on how to clean up old crap from my "puter".  I appreciated all I've read and plan on spreading the info wherever I can!

Good Luck,
Therobbie1

SafeSurf

[RESOLVED] Re: Avast wont let me connect to the internet
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2010, 08:07:25 AM »
Thanks therobbie1.  Some software leave remnants behind even after using their uninstallers.  We are lucky that Avast did a good job and cleans itself up well and doesn't do that.  But I usually did around my machine looking for remnants for software known to leave little remnants behind...usually you can find them in Safe Mode under Search, but you found a different way to do it.  Good for you. ;)