Author Topic: avast! decided to block my internet  (Read 7142 times)

12-es_csaj

avast! decided to block my internet
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
I have had some internet problem since the middle of July, e.g. very slow internet speed.

But two days ago, my internet went out. I turned off the avast!, but it didn't help.

I have Free Antivirus as you can see in my signature. But when I didn't have any internet, I tried to open avast! user interface. It was hard because of a known bug in the porgram. After I could open the interface, I saw this for a second: network blocking - on. And then it disappeared. I think that this option is only in the Internet Security, and it can be only on when the user turn it on. But this appeared for a second!!
I tried a repair of avast! twice, and after the second try, my internet was fine!

Yesterday, my internet went out again. I knew what to do: I repaired my avast!, and after that, the internet was fine.

NOT ONLY THE BROWSERS, THE WHOLE INTERNET!

What is it? Is it a bug in the program?

(I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, they didn't find anything in the past. Today, I will run those two, and ESET Online Scan, too.)

Sorry for my English, it is not so good, but I hope that my post is understandable.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:22:13 AM by 12-es_csaj »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: avast! decided to block my internet
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 01:15:18 PM »
I see in one of your earlier posts you mentioned AVG and Mcafee as past AV's you've had installed, and possibly Avira.

Have a look here (site maintained by fredvries) and download and run any removal tools that might be applicable to clean up remains of old AV's. You might need to repair Avast again after this action.
Hope it helps.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

12-es_csaj

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »
I had AVG about one year ago in another PC. I got McAfee with my OEM operating system in my new PC in January. I removed it, and I installed avast! 4.8. In February, I removed it, and I installed avast! 5.0.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »
I had AVG about one year ago in another PC. I got McAfee with my OEM operating system in my new PC in January. I removed it, and I installed avast! 4.8. In February, I removed it, and I installed avast! 5.0.

Simply removing AVG, McAfee, and most malware programs via Add/Remove Programs is insufficient.  The link that Tarq57 provided has links to uninstallers provided by the publishers of those individual programs.  AVG and McAfee provided them because that's the only way to completely remove them.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

12-es_csaj

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 03:41:40 PM »
I had AVG in ANOTHER PC, not in the current.
I removed McAfee in the first day.
As I know, I didn't have any problem with avast! until July.
avast! (or something else) has made the internet speed half and sometimes quarter of the requested.
And two days ago happened what I mentioned in the first post.

(Since then, ESET Online Scanner scanned my system, and it found nothing.)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »
If McAfee was at one time on the machine you are having the problem with, then download and run the McAfee uninstaller.  Only that way will you be sure that there are no remnants of McAfee causing problems with Avast.  It is quite possible for the remnants to cause problems only after some weeks of Avast (or other antivirus programs) seeming to work fine.
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

12-es_csaj

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 04:44:36 PM »
Today, the problem is appeared again.
I removed avast!, and suddenly the internet became fine again.

I really liked avast!, and I used it for one year. But it had to go because of this problem.
I am now a MSE user.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »
Then in a few weeks, you can post your problems to the MSE forums. ;D  Don't forget to tell them about McAfee and Avast being installed beforehand.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:07:13 PM by Gopher John »

12-es_csaj

avast! decided to block my internet - NOT; it was the servicer's fault...
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:35:33 PM »
Unfortunately, avast! is a really buggy software; so I think that is normal that I tought the less of internet is avast!s fault. But I didn't have any internet when there wasn't avast! on my laptop.
One of our neighbours said that she has the same problem with her phone and internet.

I'm sorry.

I used Revo uninstaller, and it didn't find any remains of MSE or McAfee.

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 08:10:01 PM »
Then in a few weeks, you can post your problems to the MSE forums. ;D  Don't forget to tell them about McAfee and Avast being installed beforehand.
+1

@12-es_csaj
If avast! is a really buggy software then there would be more than 130 million very unhappy users!

Over 130 million reasons why avast! is the most popular
http://blog.avast.com/2010/09/16/defining-popularity-among-antivirus-programs

ImWarm

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:23:53 PM »
Don't use Revo Uninstaller for antivirus programs. For a complete uninstall, Use Add/remove Programs, then use the vendor's removal tool to get rid of the leftovers. Found here.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 08:25:35 PM »
Well running wont help you we try to help but you seem to dont want to...

So well decide.

I think some 1 should take a good look to a hijackthis log.

Mr.Agent

Mr.Agent

Re: avast! decided to block my internet - NOT; it was the servicer's fault...
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 08:31:19 PM »
Unfortunately, avast! is a really buggy software
Oh and tell me which softwares arent buggy ????

Any softwares can have a bug its impossible that a software got 0 bug !

So if you run because that you think its a buggy and which im sure it isnt a bug then you did run for nothing and also maybe later you will got the same problem and you will see that the problem wasnt avast!...

so I think that is normal that I tought the less of internet is avast!s fault.

Its a big accusation that you give there ! Wonder why my computer run fine now and your isnt ? Maybe because i did config good mine ? Me when i firstly installed avast! i think 4.7 or 4.8 because in past my comp alway having problems with viruses and others security solutions installed that wasnt detected them. But now with avast! my computer is like running like the new.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:37:34 PM by Mr.Agent »

12-es_csaj

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
Then in a few weeks, you can post your problems to the MSE forums. ;D  Don't forget to tell them about McAfee and Avast being installed beforehand.
+1

@12-es_csaj
If avast! is a really buggy software then there would be more than 130 million very unhappy users!

Over 130 million reasons why avast! is the most popular
http://blog.avast.com/2010/09/16/defining-popularity-among-antivirus-programs

I have already read this post on the blog.  ;)
avast! has 130 registered users, and it isn't the current user base, is it?
For example I had to register in Septemer 2009 when I put avast on my pc, I had to register in January, when I got the laptop (I didn't know that the old key would have been o.k.) and I had to register when I reinstalled avast! in September. It is 3 installation in 1 year. So I am 3 users??
And think of it: you have to register every year. When the registration expires, lots of people make a completely new registration.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 10:31:07 PM »
3 users mean 3 PC so you got it for 3 PC the license that you did buy same for (1-2-#). They can use a USB key, CD, Email or anything that you can insert the license again in the another pc...

Free users can put the same license key so they dont have to register more than 1 time. Just search on the avast! web for its send you back the key numbers. So you can put it to any of your home computers.

Mr.Agent