Author Topic: native x64 version  (Read 5344 times)

rubenvb

native x64 version
« on: October 16, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »
Hi,

I understand a virus scanner needs its core to be x64 on a x64 Windows system, and Avast was one of the first to adopt this. For that: thank you!

But, why hasn't Avast built AvastUI.exe as a 64-bit executable? If flash is the problem, Adobe is working on that and has a new preview version (which works quite nicely under Firefox x64).

Thanks!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: native x64 version
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »
Because it currently brings virtually no benefits - yet requires a lot of work. So... we'd rather spend our time on something more useful instead (such as new features).

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:17:31 AM »

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:24:54 AM »
Because it currently brings virtually no benefits - yet requires a lot of work. So... we'd rather spend our time on something more useful instead (such as new features).

could u just elaborate on what the ACTUAL benefits are tho? even if thers virtually none, im just curious what the benefits are?
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
It mostly involves usage of several terabytes of RAM and data paging in terabytes. Out of which no one has this kind of configuration so no real point in even pointing this out. Most of ppl don't even have 8GB of RAM and 1TB hard disk, let alone 64TB of RAM and 128TB of disk space. That's where native 64bit programs are required and recommended.

But for the needs of casual home users or most of the corporate devices like workstations and smaller servers, 32bit software with 64bit kernel drivers is enough. It provides all the benefits given to the home 64bit computing without causing huge development costs and delays and still operate like a fully native 64bit application.
Basically you get full 64bit support and developers get simplified and cheaper development. The best of both worlds.
When there will be a real need for full 64bit avast!, they will make one you can count on that.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:03:23 PM »
woudnt having a native x64 application naturally increase stability and compatibility and possibly security of the program because it doesnt have to be run through wow64? idk thats just what im thinking but i could be wrong
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
I personally thing it would not improve stability beyond what we have now. I mean, if the program is written properly it will be stable in 32bit or 64bit.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 09:28:11 PM »
the GUI will have no significant differences between 32b and 64b as long as you have SysWOW on your system.. once a Win system without SysWOW will come out, there will be a need to release native 64b version, but even then i don't expect any speed ups or better stability etc...