Author Topic: STOP ANNOYING POP UP TO UPGRADE TO AVAST VERSION 5.0!!! [SOLVED]  (Read 37473 times)

peter50

Re: STOP ANNOYING POP UP TO UPGRADE TO VERSION 5.0!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »
Bottled water is the single biggest ripoff ever foisted on the public. I never buy nor drink any of it. Actually I don't drink plain water, period.

wow... thats incredible... i thought that only martians were able to live without drink water...

peter50

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »
do you like coffee or decaffeinated coffee?

I don't drink coffee. :-\

Congratulations! coffee is bad for kidneys.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_coffee_bad_for_my_kidneys

thanks for the link... however, coca-cola contains coffee too and I prefer to stay in the safe side...

i dont know how this even has anything to do with this thread but ill bite and just let u know that coca-cola does not contain coffee, it contains caffeine.

oh...

peter50

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
Peter-
Are you referring to the Pop up that comes on each time you start your computer?  Just curious, because that is what just started happening on my laptop.

yes

Ghostrider

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2010, 10:14:03 AM »
Picked this up in another tread:

For those who would still like to get rid of the annoying "NAG" window for version 5 update, do the following:

Disable the self-defense module.
Locate and rename the file "asw5Not2.exe". It should be located in the Avast4 folder.
Re-enable the self-defense module.
You'll now have the monumental task of remembering, yourself, to update to version 5 before version 4 expires.
This was apparently part of a virus definition update, even though it has nothing to do with virus definitions.

Also you could just block the "service" (an annoying one) in your firewall.

Mike_X

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2010, 11:49:44 AM »
I was happy with avast 4 during years.

Now I feel that I am being forced to upgrade to 5 or bye bye avast?

if microsoft had made the same thing with xp forcing everybody to upgrade to vista, they could be in bankruptcy now.

Most likely you have the free version installed. Avast is a free product compared to windows OS's so they can do whatever they want with it. The guys at Avast warn you that the support for 4.8 Free is ending and they have an alternative free program that is better. The slowdown... this is the first time I've heard someone say 4.8 is slower than 5 ???

osants911

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2010, 12:33:57 PM »

Most likely you have the free version installed. Avast is a free product compared to windows OS's so they can do whatever they want with it. The guys at Avast warn you that the support for 4.8 Free is ending and they have an alternative free program that is better. The slowdown... this is the first time I've heard someone say 4.8 is slower than 5

peter50 is saying that 5 is slower than 4.8, not 4.8 is slower than 5...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2010, 01:06:16 PM »
Lol, company gives them free upgrade which is faster, better looking with higher protection, yet they complain about it? Just face it, avast! 5 is faster regardless of what kind of system you're using. Especially after using it for a while or doing a full system scan where it caches whitelisted files and doesn't even scan them anymore until they change so performance is even better.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Mike_X

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2010, 04:23:58 PM »

Most likely you have the free version installed. Avast is a free product compared to windows OS's so they can do whatever they want with it. The guys at Avast warn you that the support for 4.8 Free is ending and they have an alternative free program that is better. The slowdown... this is the first time I've heard someone say 4.8 is slower than 5

peter50 is saying that 5 is slower than 4.8, not 4.8 is slower than 5...

Sorry...was thinking the same thing but typing something else.

peter50

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2010, 09:26:42 PM »
Picked this up in another tread:

For those who would still like to get rid of the annoying "NAG" window for version 5 update, do the following:

Disable the self-defense module.
Locate and rename the file "asw5Not2.exe". It should be located in the Avast4 folder.
Re-enable the self-defense module.
You'll now have the monumental task of remembering, yourself, to update to version 5 before version 4 expires.
This was apparently part of a virus definition update, even though it has nothing to do with virus definitions.

Also you could just block the "service" (an annoying one) in your firewall.

YOU SAVED MY LIFE!

I AM ETERNALLY THANKFUL!

peter50

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
Lol, company gives them free upgrade which is faster, better looking with higher protection, yet they complain about it? Just face it, avast! 5 is faster regardless of what kind of system you're using. Especially after using it for a while or doing a full system scan where it caches whitelisted files and doesn't even scan them anymore until they change so performance is even better.

avast 5 have a lot of bugs and iT is not faster than 4.8.

here are A LOT of posts about this:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=site:forum.avast.com+avast+5+slow

SO, i suggest to the captain of the Avast ship to offer the version 5 as an "upgrade option" only, without forcing people to upgrade from 4 to 5, and leave the version 4 for users with old PCs.

regards,
Peter.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2010, 09:42:49 PM »

avast 5 have a lot of bugs and iT is not faster than 4.8.

here are A LOT of posts about this:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=site:forum.avast.com+avast+5+slow

SO, i suggest to the captain of the Avast ship to offer the version 5 as an "upgrade option" only, without forcing people to upgrade from 4 to 5, and leave the version 4 for users with old PCs.

regards,
Peter.

if u use it long enuff for the persistant cache to be completed (by doing full scans and using the AV for a bit) then it will be much lighter
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Dch48

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2010, 10:47:25 PM »
Bottled water is the single biggest ripoff ever foisted on the public. I never buy nor drink any of it. Actually I don't drink plain water, period.

wow... thats incredible... i thought that only martians were able to live without drink water...
I get fluids from coffee, tea, Kool-aid, juices, soda,etc. It has to be flavored in some way. I don't ever drink plain water.

Gargamel360

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2010, 10:56:41 PM »

I get fluids from coffee, tea, Kool-aid, juices, soda,etc. It has to be flavored in some way. I don't ever drink plain water.

R-O-F-L @Epic off-topic continuance. 
You thought the discussion of beverages was over?  Oh, you where wrong, so wrong......

peter50

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2010, 11:01:34 PM »

KOOL-AID???!!! It's a miracle that you are still alive!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:03:28 PM by peter50 »

YoKenny

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2010, 11:05:35 PM »

regards,
Peter.
We do not know what Country you are in and what are your system specifications.

Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Please select your country: then Signature: and put information about your system just like my signature about your system just like my signature so that the helpers can offer pertinent advice.