Author Topic: Avast Site Ratings?  (Read 14760 times)

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Avast Site Ratings?
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:29:01 PM »
any chance avast will implement a browser plugin that shows ratings for sites in the search results and for the pages ur currently on (hopefully not with a full blown toolbar like Norton's which is just annoying, but perhaps just have a colour coded icon for the site ur on like the way WOT does it so its unobtrusive)

i think it would be a cool feature to have and many AV's are starting to do this or have been for a while (Fsecure, Norton, Mcafee, AVG, etc.)

and from what i know, avast already blocks malicious pages and keeps a database on them so i figure its already got a good start on making this happen
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Site Ratings?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 09:35:10 PM »
Ratings based on what?
Avast rate the site on "clean" (and let it go) or "infected (and blocks it).
The best things in life are free.

marc-d-l

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »
The problem with WOT is, well not very good.Anyone can bad mouth any url, even if its not true, so you never really know if its a bad place or not.Why add stuff to Avast that will just bloat it and use more resource.(KISS) keep it simple st...d

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »
The problem with WOT is, well not very good.Anyone can bad mouth any url, even if its not true, so you never really know if its a bad place or not.Why add stuff to Avast that will just bloat it and use more resource.(KISS) keep it simple st...d

i never said make it like WOT, u can clearly see that i want it the way Norton, Mcafee, Fsecure do it, rate the sites based on Avasts analysis of the site, like download links and other links on the site, phishing, etc. and NOT user ratings, only thing i wanted like WOT is to simply have a colour coded icon instead of a full toolbar like Norton has cuz thats too obtrusive

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:43:39 PM by firzen771 »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:44:43 PM »
Yes, web reputation system is under development and it should be tested together with v5.1 - I hope this information is correct, because nobody tell me anything here...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 09:51:56 PM by pk »

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »
Ratings based on what?
Avast rate the site on "clean" (and let it go) or "infected (and blocks it).

yes, the same way its doen by Norton, Mcafee, Fsecure and the like, but obviously id like it to have an option to ignore the rating and continue to the site anyways for people who wish to

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:47:17 PM »
Yes, web reputation system should be tested together with v5.1 - I hope this information is correct, because nobody tell me anything here...

well thats good news that its going to be included, i hope ur info is right then lol;D

but more than anything i REALLYYYY hope avast doesnt go with a bloated toolbar or any ASK search partnership etc. just a simple search ratings system and a small colour coded icon in the browser like WOT's which blends in nicely with the browser

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
Rate the sites based on Avasts analysis of the site, like download links and other links on the site, phishing, etc. and NOT user ratings
Ok, seems good (if it could be disabled into the avast settings).
Another -1 vote for a toolbar.
The best things in life are free.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 12:33:16 AM »
Rate the sites based on Avasts analysis of the site, like download links and other links on the site, phishing, etc. and NOT user ratings
Ok, seems good (if it could be disabled into the avast settings).
Another -1 vote for a toolbar.

yes, it would be stupid if they made it mandatory, just have it like any shield would be, it could be disabled once installed and have it be part of the custom installation so the people who wish can choose to not install it at all, that way it suits everyones needs

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 08:59:19 AM »
...because nobody tell me anything here...

Maybe you should ask in the forum... ;D
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 09:07:16 AM »
pk, they don't tell you anything???

I like the idea, and I think it would be good if the user did not have to do a Custom install but it were part of the regular install and had the option to enable/disable whenever or if they wanted to use it like a feature.  I would not want it as a toolbar.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 10:02:18 AM »
I think that would be a brilliant idea, no toolbar but mayby a small icon somewhere to say that web reputation is on and the usuall red or green tick's next to link's to let you know if a site is safe or not.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »
Yes, web reputation system is under development and it should be tested together with v5.1 - I hope this information is correct, because nobody tell me anything here...

Vlk or igor was mentioning something about this, but nothing definitive yet. Looking forward for avast! 5.1 testing. Some of the new features sound very promising for a such "minor" update.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »

Looking forward to v5.1

Might convince me to get rid of Finjan SecureBrowsing. :) 

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
I think that would be a brilliant idea, no toolbar but mayby a small icon somewhere to say that web reputation is on and the usuall red or green tick's next to link's to let you know if a site is safe or not.

yes, exactly, thats what i really hope they do, i dont understand the thinking behind other companies that install a massive, bulky toolbar wen all most people want is the little coloured icon showing the site rating, u dont need a whole toolbar for that IMO