Author Topic: Avast Site Ratings?  (Read 14758 times)

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Site Ratings?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 04:06:33 PM »
Yes, web reputation system is under development and it should be tested together with v5.1 - I hope this information is correct, because nobody tell me anything here...

Looking forward to v5.1

Might convince me to get rid of Finjan SecureBrowsing. :) 
At least you will have back some browser speed without finjan, i dont doubt that it is a good program and does what it's supposed to do, i tried it for a little while but was it painfully slow at it's scanning of link's, i hope avast's version wont be like that.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 04:12:48 PM »
Yes, web reputation system is under development and it should be tested together with v5.1 - I hope this information is correct, because nobody tell me anything here...

Looking forward to v5.1

Might convince me to get rid of Finjan SecureBrowsing. :) 
At least you will have back some browser speed without finjan, i dont doubt that it is a good program and does what it's supposed to do, i tried it for a little while but was it painfully slow at it's scanning of link's, i hope avast's version wont be like that.

i dont imagine it would since it wouldnt be an exploit scanner like finjan or linkscanner, it would just be a site ratings system, avast already has a webshield to detect exploits and such
Windows 7 x64 / Windows Firewall OFF / UAC OFF
Real-Time: Avast Internet Security / WinPatrol

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 08:19:48 AM »
If it is just going to be a site rating system who will rate the site's? wouldn't want it to turn into something like wot where the rating's go by user review's, finjan has the right idea, it just needs to be alot faster at it. Linkscanner is pretty quick, dont know if it has compatability issue's with avast though.

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 03:39:26 PM »
If it is just going to be a site rating system who will rate the site's? wouldn't want it to turn into something like wot where the rating's go by user review's, finjan has the right idea, it just needs to be alot faster at it. Linkscanner is pretty quick, dont know if it has compatability issue's with avast though.

read the thread...

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »

read the thread...
I have read the thread, these are just idea's, question's and suggestion's so no one knows exactly how and what will be implemented with the site reputation system that pk has mentioned. Plus the web shield only scan's after you click that link where a link scanner is scanning the link's before you open them.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:09:50 PM by craigb »

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »

read the thread...
I have read the thread, these are just idea's, question's and suggestion's so no one knows exactly how and what will be implemented with the site reputation system that pk has mentioned. Plus the web shield only scan's after you click that link where a link scanner is scanning the link's before you open them.

well yes these are just the ideas of what we want and no ones suggested a community rating system so idk why u think thats what its going to come to, i dont think any AV company uses that system so i highly doubt avast will

and linkscanner and such programs that scan exploits give u site ratings before u click on them, if the site hasnt even begun to load yet, how do u expect it to scan for exploits? site has to be loading befote the exploit scanning works in any product so that makes no difference

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 05:00:39 PM »
Im not saying that's what it's going to come to, i just mentioned that i hope they didn't go that way because we dont really know what there doing do we. That is what linkscanner and finjan does, it scan's the the sites behind link's before you click on them. Plus McAfee's siteadviser that goes with there av is community based, similar structure to wot but you have to register.

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 05:11:45 PM »
Plus McAfee's siteadviser that goes with there av is community based, similar structure to wot but you have to register.
I would not recommend McAfee's SiteAdviser as it even says that sites with known malware are safe!   

Offline firzen771

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »
Im not saying that's what it's going to come to, i just mentioned that i hope they didn't go that way because we dont really know what there doing do we. That is what linkscanner and finjan does, it scan's the the sites behind link's before you click on them. Plus McAfee's siteadviser that goes with there av is community based, similar structure to wot but you have to register.

its not like WOT tho, thers no virus analysis done in WOT, they simply use blacklists from other sites like phistank etc and community ratings while siteadvisor and others actually get tested by the company itself for malware and then yes, if u go for more detail, u can see user ratings, but the ratings u see in ur search results are the rating the actual AV company gives the site

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 05:24:40 PM »
Plus McAfee's siteadviser that goes with there av is community based, similar structure to wot but you have to register.
I would not recommend McAfee's SiteAdviser as it even says that sites with known malware are safe!   
Dont worrie YoKenny no one is recommending site adviser, just saying that it is a community based program like wot and i know there both crap.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »

its not like WOT tho, thers no virus analysis done in WOT, they simply use blacklists from other sites like phistank etc and community ratings while siteadvisor and others actually get tested by the company itself for malware and then yes, if u go for more detail, u can see user ratings, but the ratings u see in ur search results are the rating the actual AV company gives the site
That is true.