Author Topic: Error specified program file cannot be found. (2) Threat -Win32: MalOb [Cw] [bx]  (Read 3743 times)

ironman33

After scanning avast finds two threats identifying both of these threats but will not repair, delete, or move them to the virus chest. I've tried clearing system restore and even deleted my old windows but nothing has worked. Can someone help me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, it is better and safer to send the infected file(s) to quarantine (Chest), rather than simply deleting them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

ironman33

I'm sorry but I'm not really versed in computer speak. Here is some more information and hopefully that will help u help me. I am running Windows 7 and the file log states the virus in in System Volume Information_restore, but I can not find it or am not sure how system restore works on my system.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

ironman33

Thanks for all the replies so far. My last step was to delete the system restore points. After trying that, I ran avast virus scan again and the two System Volume Information_restore viruses remain. I am currently running cureit on my laptop; which is where the viruses are. It is taking quite a long time to complete the scan. Here's another piece of information. My computer still has some elements of old windows xp still on the system. Is is safe to delete old windows. Could the virus be hiding in the OLD WINDOWS folder.

ironman33

I just finished running Dr Web Cureit through the express scan and no viruses were found at all. Does this mean that avast is identifying a false positive or should I try Cure as a complete scan?

Thanks