Author Topic: Resolved AVAST Setup - APLICATION ERROR  (Read 15633 times)

mpdkorat

Resolved AVAST Setup - APLICATION ERROR
« on: October 18, 2010, 04:17:39 AM »
Hi

I'm using the latest Avast Free Anti Virus version. Just recently I'm getting this errr message:

AVAST Setup - APLICATION ERROR

The instructions at "OX7c918fea" reference memory at "OX01cb6e70". The memory could not be "written"

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

After I get this message I'm unable to conect to the internet and it feezes my screen and I have to reboot. Then it works for a short time and the error repeats itself.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 06:30:55 AM by mpdkorat »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVAST Setup - APLICATION ERROR
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:33:36 AM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mpdkorat

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:48:05 AM »
I have not completed the advice from the above post yet. I'm now also getting to following error message, which again prevents internet conection via fire fox and also locks the screen??

svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction "0x6f8916e2" reference memory at "0x0140005c". The memory could not be "written"

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 07:18:29 AM »
Reboot your machine.

Try to Repair your installation:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Post back to see if this resolves your problem.

mpdkorat

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:15:14 AM »
Reboot your machine.

Try to Repair your installation:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Post back to see if this resolves your problem.

I rebooted  and then repaired Avast. I then got the error message:

svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x001f1cb0" reference memory at "0x001f1cb0". The memory could not be "written"

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:19:56 AM »
What firewall (FW) are you using?

What is your OS?  32 or 64-bit?

What product of Avast are you using (Free, Pro, or AIS)?

What other security software are you using on your machine currently and in the past including Antivirus, FW, and other security software? 

Is your machine acting strange in any other way?  Did this suddenly start happening?

mpdkorat

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 08:37:11 AM »
What firewall (FW) are you using?

What is your OS?  32 or 64-bit?

What product of Avast are you using (Free, Pro, or AIS)?

What other security software are you using on your machine currently and in the past including Antivirus, FW, and other security software? 

Is your machine acting strange in any other way?  Did this suddenly start happening?

I'm using Win XP 32 bit and Comodo firewall. I'm using the latest free version of Avast.

I'm using Advanced SystemCare pro & IObit 360 Registered. I'm also using Malwarebytes registered version.

Yes it just started happening. What caused it to happen I'm not sure. As far as I can tell its just appears to be a memory problem. I have scanned using all the security devices I have with nothing showing up.

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 08:41:21 AM »
We recently had a user with your exact security setup of ASC and IObit that conflicted with Avast after extensive trouble shooting.  Before I ask you to uninstall both these software per the vendor's instructions, can you cut and paste your MBAM log to this thread?  Thank you.

Also, check to make sure your FW is not blocking anything with Avast.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »
This was the thread from the other user with your security settings (minus your FW) and their issues (boot-time scanning froze) were resolved after removing the 2 software mentioned in the above post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63775.15.  What I am suggesting is that these other security software may be causing a conflict and before we have you uninstall and do a clean install of Avast, you may want to uninstall these software to see if it resolves your problem.  Also, ASC has been known in some versions to also contain an AV, which would conflict with Avast. 

mpdkorat

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
We recently had a user with your exact security setup of ASC and IObit that conflicted with Avast after extensive trouble shooting.  Before I ask you to uninstall both these software per the vendor's instructions, can you cut and paste your MBAM log to this thread?  Thank you.

Also, check to make sure your FW is not blocking anything with Avast.

I have check that my FW is not blocking Avast and I have attached a copy of my MBAM Log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4858

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

18/10/2010 14:00:06
mbam-log-2010-10-18 (14-00-06).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 210439
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 12 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 09:12:18 AM »
OK...MBAM comes out clean.  Although I noticed that you are using an outdated XP SP2 and IE 7, both of which are not supported anymore.  For security, you really should update to SP3 and IE8.

Considering my recommendations from my previous posts, would you like to proceed with the uninstalls of ASC and IObit or uninstall/clean install of Avast?

mpdkorat

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »
OK...MBAM comes out clean.  Although I noticed that you are using an outdated XP SP2 and IE 7, both of which are not supported anymore.  For security, you really should update to SP3 and IE8.

Considering my recommendations from my previous posts, would you like to proceed with the uninstalls of ASC and IObit or uninstall/clean install of Avast?

I think I will do an uninstall of avast. How to do a clean uninstall of avast?

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 09:38:22 AM »
Uninstall Avast and do a CLEAN install:

1. Save a copy of newest version of Avast (5.0.677) for the version you need and save it to your HDD:
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free_eng.exe - (English only)
Freehttp://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe - (multi-language version)
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD - desktop is a good place for it (it has uninstall tools for both 4.0 and 5.0).
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go to Control Panel and uninstall Avast through Add/Remove Programs if possible and reboot.
5. If Step 4 fails, boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool.  If you previously had Avast 4.0, uninstall it now as well as 5.0.
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free:
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

Let us know how this works for you.  If this does not resolve your problem, then I suggest uninstalling one at a time ASC and IObit with a reboot in between and see if it resolves your problem.  Thank you.

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 09:44:08 AM »
Do you have any questions mpdkorat?

mpdkorat

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 11:07:17 AM »
Do you have any questions mpdkorat?

I would like to thank you very much for you help. I mean that. I read some recent reviews on free AV software and Avira always came out in front of Avast. I then installed Avira and it emediately picked of the Worm Conficker.Z47 but strangely enough so did malwarebytes. I had done nothing since my last malewarebytes scan except for uninstall Avast and install Avira. So this nasty could only have come from the avast uninstaller or the Avira installation, very confusing.

Machine now working fine.

No disrespect to Avast I have been using this program for about three years, this is the first time I have had a problem. I will reply to any of your responses.

Cheers